Changing your Yahoo password is one way to keep your account safe from hackers. It is always recommended to change the Yahoo password after every few days or months so that if someone already knows your password, he/she will automatically lose access to your account. But when you are not able to change or have forgotten it, the only option left is to reset it using the available recovery options. In this guide, we will walk you through the methods available to reset the Yahoo password.
Yahoo is one of the top email service providers used largely across the globe to receive or send emails. The amazing features it offers make users get the best experience. However, this doesn’t guarantee prevention from cyberattacks. Hacking is so common these days no matter which email service you use including Yahoo. And, if unfortunately your Yahoo account has been hacked or you have forgotten your yahoo password, this can put you in a great dilemma. Nothing can save you except if you quickly reset your password using the recovery information added to your account.
How Can I Recover My Yahoo Mail Password?
This is the question that lingers in the mind of most of the Yahoo users and if you are one of them, here is what you need to reset the Yahoo password:
- Recovery Phone Number, or
- Recovery Email Address
These are the two most important pieces of information that you need to recover your Yahoo account. In case, you don’t have linked your phone number to your Yahoo account, you can use the recovery email address and vice-versa. You need to have at least one option added to your account to ensure smooth Yahoo account recovery.
Also, Yahoo security questions are no longer available as an account recovery option. So, if you want to keep your Yahoo account secure, make sure to add a phone number and an alternate email address to reset the password when in need.
How to Log In to a Yahoo Email Account if You Forgot Your Password?
If you have forgotten your Yahoo password, you can reset it using any of the given ways:
1. Reset Yahoo Password without Recovery Email
To reset the Yahoo password without using your recovery email address, follow these steps:
- Go to Yahoo sign-in Helper
- You will see three options out of which ‘Recovery email address’ is already eliminated. Now, you just have to enter either your ‘Sign-in email address or mobile number’ or ‘Recovery phone number’ in the blank field and click on ‘Continue’.
- You have to select your phone number if you don’t have access to the recovery email address.
- Enter the last two missing digits of your phone number to verify it, click on ‘Submit’.
- Enter the code you have received on your phone number and click on ‘Verify’
- Once your code gets verified, you will be allowed to change your Yahoo password without using your old password; simply enter a new password and click ‘Continue’; avoid using the variation of old password or personal information. You can also click on ‘Password help’ to get tips to create a strong Yahoo password.
Note– If you have enabled two-step verification, you cannot log in to Yahoo Mail without verification. If you don’t have access to your phone, you can reset your password with the help of a recovery email address.
2. Reset Yahoo Password without Recovery Phone Number
To reset your Yahoo account password without using a recovery phone number, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to Yahoo sign-in Helper
- You will see three options out of which ‘Recovery phone number’ is already eliminated. Now, you just have to enter either your ‘Sign-in email address or mobile number’ or ‘Recovery email address in the blank field and click on ‘Continue’.
- You can either select ‘Verify with Google Account’ or ‘Email a code’ or click on ‘See more’
- A new recovery option has been added by Yahoo recently where you can reset your password by scanning the QR code using the mobile device that you use to login to Yahoo.
- If you select ‘Verify with Google account’, you will be required to simply log in to your Yahoo account by entering your Gmail credentials if you have added a Gmail account as the recovery email address.
- If you choose the option ‘Email a code’, you will simply have to enter the verification code sent to your recovery email address and click on ‘Verify’.
- Select the option ‘Scan QR code’, you will have to scan the QR code given by Yahoo; for that open Yahoo Mail app on your phone, go to profile image> manage accounts> QR scanner; scan the QR code that you see on the desktop screen using your mobile device.
- After following any one of the given recovery options, you will be allowed to create a new Yahoo password; click ‘Continue’ to proceed.
Now, you can go to the Yahoo account security page to log in with a new password.
Tip- It is important to change your Yahoo password from time to time to keep your account secure. Also, ensure that the recovery information such as phone number, the alternate email address is updated, so that you don’t let hackers access your account.
How can I recover my Yahoo Password Without a Phone Number or Email?
If you don’t have access to your recovery phone number or email address that you have set up with your Yahoo email account, it is not possible to recover your Yahoo account or reset the password. Yahoo will need at least one thing to verify that you are the real owner of the account you want to recover. Hence, it becomes indispensable to give any of your personal information to Yahoo so that you can get a code using which you can reset the account’s password and secure it.
Note- There is no Yahoo recovery tool that can help you reset the password without asking for verification. So, beware of defrauders who are asking for money in order to recover your Yahoo account.
For further help and information, you can also visit Yahoo contact page.