If you have a Yahoo mail account, I do not need to tell you how amazing it works and its services such as emails, videos, maps, web portal, social media, and news that make it more desirable.
Yahoo has upped its game by introducing the ‘Account Key’ feature for its email service. By this, you get ease to access your Yahoo account without worrying much about the security issues.
After reading this, I know a few questions must be strolling in your mind right now such as:
Do not worry as on reading further, you will find all your answers. Now, let’s just begin with:
What is Yahoo Account Key?
Yahoo introduced the account key with a motive to eliminate the need for a password to access your account. You can simply log in with a single ‘Tap’ on your phone. ‘Account key’ is a push-notification based login method where you only need to remember your username and keep your phone handy.
The feature was introduced somewhere around in March 2015 when Yahoo decided to get away with the use ofpasswords and started sending on-demand passwords to mobile devices. The on-demand password has been referred to as ‘Account Key’, the key only you have access to.
How Does Yahoo Account Key Work?
Yahoo Mail Account Key is a security feature that this email giant has enabled to put an end to the need for a login password. Moreover, passwords are considered no more secure, so there must be an extra layer of security for your Yahoo account.
Also, when you access your account using the password, you need to go through the Yahoo Account Recovery process whenever you forget the password.
Once you enable the Yahoo account key, you will no longer need to remember or enter the password. Whenever you will try to access your account, a simple tap on your mobile device will be enough for authentication. This way you can have a physical verification from a trusted device whenever you will try to access your account.
Before proceeding, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- Access to your Yahoo mail account
- Your Android or iOS mobile device
- Yahoo mail app needs to be installed on your mobile device
How to Enable Yahoo Account Key?
To configure account key for your Yahoo account, you need to be logged into your account on your PC and then follow the given steps:
- Click on your profile name shown in the top-right corner and you will see a few options, click on ‘Settings’.
- On the next screen, click on the option ‘Account Security’ from the left column.
- Under the ‘Account Security’ section, click on ‘See how it works’ under the heading ‘Secure your account with Yahoo Account Key’.
- Next, to start setting up the Yahoo account key, you will receive a notification on your device, for that click on ‘Send me a notification’.
- Now, you need to ensure that you are signed in to your Yahoo account on the mobile app and have notifications enabled.
- Check on your phone, you must have received a notification on the Yahoo mail app.
- Once you have tapped the green tick on your phone, you will be asked to sign in again as shown in the image below.
- That’s was all and you can click on ‘Always Use Yahoo Account Key’ to enable it for your account. You will be asked to enter your phone number as the last step.
From that time onwards, whenever you will try to login or sign in to your Yahoo email from any device such as a PC or a mobile device, you will get a push notification on your registered mobile number whether you are the one trying to access or any unauthorized person.
You will receive a notification like this
“Are you trying to sign in?”
You just have to tap ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
With the help of the account key method, you can confirm that you are the one signing in without entering a passcode.
How to Turn Off Yahoo Account Key?
It is also easy to ditch Yahoo account key and switch back to the password as the login method as follows:
- Go to the Yahoo Account Security page and enter the login credentials. Click on the option ‘Manage’ given for ‘Yahoo account key is enabled’.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will see the option for ‘Disable Account Key’, click on that. After that, you will again be required to sign in to your account.
- Now, you can choose the required option i.e. ‘Yes, disable Account Key’ and the key will be disabled for your account.
- After that, you can only sign in using the password of your Yahoo mail account.
What if Yahoo Account Key is not Working?
There can be a scenario where you have activated the Yahoo account key but not receiving one while trying to sign in. To fix this:
- Allow or turn on notifications in the Yahoo Mail app and from your mobile device.
- Click on ‘Resend’ to generate a new Yahoo authentication key.
If you are still not getting it,
- Go to the Yahoo sign-in page and try to sign in.
- Click one out of: Use text or email to sign in or Try another way to sign in.
- Type in the missing digits of your number and click Submit.
- If you have access to your phone, hit on Yes, text me a verification code.
- In case you don’t have access, you can go for the option to verify your alternate email address.
- Type in the verification code to confirm and click Continue to access your account.
Hopefully, this will help.
How Secure is Yahoo Account Key?
This is the most prevalent question asked regarding Yahoo Account Key and if you are also using this method, you must know how secure it is.
Using the Account key as a login method ensures that your Yahoo Account is safe from getting hacked.
If you are confusing it with a two-factor authentication process, it includes only one factor. Moreover, the two-factor verification method is considered more secure as compared to the account key. So you know what is best for you.