When it is about creating documents, spreadsheets, presentations, no other tool has been able to achieve the efficiency of Microsoft Office. Developed by Microsoft, Office is a combination of server software, client software, and services.
Back in 1988, Office was launched with a motive to assist people in their official work where they have to create text documents, do calculations, etc., on their computer systems. With time it has grown to be one of the most useful software packages and there are more than 1.2 billion users all over the world.
Earlier you used to get a CD to install Microsoft Office but that is not the case anymore. You get a box that has the product code inside that can be redeemed at office.com/setup. Now, you can directly get your copy of the software downloaded and installed from the internet. If you know the right way to do it, the process can be completed in a few minutes.
If you are facing difficulty in downloading or installing the package, I will show you how to install Microsoft office.
But before installation, you need to purchase, activate, and download the product.
Purchasing Office 365 Subscription
Office 365 is a subscription service offered by Microsoft and if you buy this, you will get regular updates for the programs. If you have already purchased the subscription, you can directly proceed towards the installation.
- Go to the Microsoft product page and click on ‘Buy Office 365’ in the upper-right corner of the page.
- You will get four variants of Office 365 to make the selection:
Office 365 Home- You get five c computer installations, five smartphone/tablet installations, and up to five terabytes of online cloud storage for a price of $99.99 per year.
Office 365 Personal- You get one computer installation, one smartphone/tablet installation, and a terabyte of online cloud storage for a price of $69.99 per year.
Office Home & Student- With this package, you get Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote for a price of a one-time charge of $149.99.
- After making the selection, click on ‘Buy Now’, a green button below the Office subscription that you choose.
- Next, click on ‘Checkout’, a blue button at the bottom-right corner of the page.
- Sign in to the MS account when asked for or if you are already signed in, you will still be required to enter the password.
- As the last step, click on ‘Place Order’ that is on the right side of the page. After that, you will get the subscription to Office 365 for one year. After purchasing, you can simply download and install it on your device.
Installing Office on Windows
- Log in to your MS Office account’s page and a page with your Office will open.
- In the next step, enter the product key or activation code to verify that the Microsoft product was purchased legally. For the activation key, you can check the physical packaging or the email of you have bought the product online.
- Click on ‘Install’, the orange button given below the subscription.
- Click on ‘Save File’ and the file Office setup file will start downloading. (If you are using the Student version of MS Office, ignore this step).
- After the file gets downloaded, double-click on the file from the download location of your computer.
- Hit ‘Yes’ when the prompt appears and the set up will start installing on your device.
- It may take a few minutes for the installation to get complete.
- When the installation is complete, click on close to end the process and from that point onwards you can start using the office programs.
Installing Office on Mac
MS Office installation on Mac devices process can be done as follows:
- Log in to your account of MS Office and you will be directed towards the page of your Office purchase.
- Next, click on the orange button under the subscription name that says ‘Install’.
- To start the downloading process of Microsoft office setup file, again click on ‘Install’.
- Go to your Mac’s Dock and open ‘Finder’, the blue, face-shaped app.
- Next, click on the ‘Downloads’ folder given on the left side of the Finder window, or if your file gets downloaded to a different location, click on that folder.
- Double-clicking on the Office setup file will start the installation.
- If you get the error that there is a problem with installation, you need to verify the download before proceeding further.
- Press Continue twice in the bottom-right corner of the window.
- Hit ‘Continue’ and then click on ‘Install’ in the bottom-right corner of the window.
- Enter the password of your Mac’s device.
- After entering the password, click on ‘Install Software’ in the bottom-right corner of the window. This will start the installation of Microsoft Office on your Mac device and it may take a while for the process to get complete.
- Once the programs get completely installed on your device, click ‘Close’ when the prompt appears.
From that time onwards, you can start using the Microsoft Office applications. That was all about how to download and install Microsoft Office on your laptop or any other device. The download and installation process of MS Office is almost the same for Windows 10 and other operating systems.