Windows Security Center Service Can’t be Started, How to Fix?
Posted on November 29, 2019 | by Khushboo Chhibber
Microsoft security center needs to be turned on if you need enhanced security and protection against threats. However, some of the users have been lately complaining of the issue faced when they start the security centre service. The error message is shown on the screen as follows:
Reasons for ‘The Security Center service can’t be started.’
- Security Center has not been configured properly, hence is not starting correctly.
- The ‘Log on User’ for Security Center has been configured inaccurately.
- A malware is creating issues in starting or deactivating the service once it has started.
can be other reasons as well that are leading to the problem.
Fix Microsoft Security Center Service Issue on Windows 10
In order to fix the issue with the Microsoft Security Center, the following methods may help you:
Security Center must be configured correctly
- Press Win + R on the keyboard, type services.msc, and then press enter.
- Click ‘Yes’ if asked for confirmation.
- Double-click on the Security Center.
- Click on the General tab, select the ‘Automatic’ option from the Start-up list, press ‘Start’, and then click ‘Ok’.
- Now check if the Security Center can be started.
Run computer in safe mode
- While restarting your computer, press F8 before the Windows logo appears.
- Use the steps given in the above method to start the Security Center service.
- If the service cannot be started, do a clean startup to fix the problem with the conflicting programs.
Repair the WMI Repository
- In the search box of Windows 7, type cmd, right-click on it, and choose ‘Run as administrator.
- Next, type the following command winmgmt /verifyrepository in the popup window and press ‘Enter’.
- If you get the message ‘WMI repository is consistent’, it means that the error ‘Windows Security Center service can’t be started’ is not instigated due to WMI repository.
- If you get the message ‘WMI repository is inconsistent, it means that you need to repair the WMI repository. To repair it, please type the command winmgmt /salvagerepository in the popup window and press ‘Enter’.
- Afterward, you will receive a message ‘WMI repository has been salvaged. Exit the window and restart your computer. Now, check if the issue with the Security Center has been resolved.