Have you ever encountered an error code “msvcp140.dll is missing” while launching a program or game on your device? If yes, then you will find every bit of information about the error code here as well as how to deal with it.
The error message may read something like this:
“The program can’t start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.”
“The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.”
This error can arise due to a number of reasons such as faulty application, or the file msvcp140.dll has been removed, deleted, or has gone corrupted due to a virus on your device.
So if you are also getting the same error message, here are the solutions to fix the missing msvcp140.dll file and get the broken program up and running.
Fixes to msvcp140.dll is Missing Error
1. Download and Install the msvcp140.dll File
If the msvcp140.dll file was missing or not found on your device, you can download and install it to fix the error. For this, go to the DLL-files.com and look for the msvcp140.dll file and follow the instructions to install it on your device. This will hopefully fix the ‘msvcp140.dll is missing’ problem; try again to launch the same program you were facing an error with.
2. Reinstall the Program
The error itself says that you must try reinstalling the program to solve the ‘MSVCP140.dll is missing’ error; the reason is the installation files of the program may have the correct version of the file.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows logo key and R at the same time
- In the box, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter; this will show you all the installed programs on your computer
- Uninstall the program that is creating the error by right-clicking on it and click on ‘Yes’ to confirm.
- Then restart your PC and reinstall the application and then launch it.
- If the problem is with the program, then this step would surely fix it or else move on to the next solution.
3. Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable package
The MSVCP140.dll file is a part of the Visual C ++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 package and this package gets installed on its own when you install Windows. So it is possible that the MSVCP140.dll file is not missing and is just corrupted resulting in the error message.
To fix it, you just need to re-download the package and install it as follows:
- Go to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 download page through this link- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840
- Then select your language and click on ‘Download’.
- Next, select the right file for your Windows version. If you don’t know the version of your Windows, you can look it under System Information.
- Once you are done downloading the file, double-click it to install by following the prompts.
- Restart your PC and then see if you are facing the same error by launching the program again.
- No matter if you have Windows 10 or 7, the above steps can help you fix the Windows 10 missing msvcp140.dll file.
4. Copy the Missing File from Another Computer
If the above solution didn’t work, you can try fixing it by copying the missing msvcp140.dll file from another device and then paste it into the problematic computer.
- You need to have a computer that has the same operating system
- On that computer, go to File Explorer, and go to C:\Windows\System32 and copy the msvcp140.dll file.
- Next, paste the file you have copied to the same location on the problematic computer.
- Now try to open the program you were facing issues with and hopefully you will not see the error again.
5. Run an Antivirus
Now the error message that the ‘MSVCP140.dll Is Missing’ can also arise when there is a virus on your device and that is why the file is showing as missing. So to ensure that your system is clean and safe from viruses, you must do a virus scan.
Windows Defender may not always detect the virus on your device hence you must also try running a scan using some other antivirus as well. If the antivirus detects any virus, follow the instructions provided by it to get it removed. Once you are done, re-open the program and see if the error got fixed.