Getting locked out of your device while running Windows 10 can be frustrating and not being able to use “Forgot password” can be even more troublesome.
But worry not, as we have got you some easy methods which can solve this issue. There are many users who prefer Windows 7 over Windows 10 and issues like getting locked out of Windows 10 are one of them.
The debate on this can go on for as long as people want but let’s stop right here and get back on track. If you are also facing this issue, then you have landed just on the right site. In this article, we are going to discuss what are the chances and reasons for getting locked out of your Windows 10 and some easy methods to solve the error. So let’s dive right in!
Can you Get Locked Out of Windows 10?
Are you locked out of your Windows 10 and don’t know the reason? Well, there can be some of them. Since there are many security features in Windows 10, it is possible to get locked out of Windows 10.
Windows 10 offers the feature to secure your account with a password, PIN, and now even biometric login information. With the help of this, the security of Windows PC or laptops gets higher. However, if the user forgot their login information, they can get locked out of their Windows 10.
Getting locked out of your Windows 10 means losing the login information for a Windows 10 account. It is still possible to access the information via other Windows 10 accounts if the user forgets the information of one. But since the majority of the users only have one account that they have set up, losing the login information for the account locks the user out of Windows 10 PC totally.
Fixes if you Get Locked Out of Windows 10
It isn’t impossible to get your Windows 10 back if you get locked out of it. We have concluded some solutions which will possibly solve the query:
Reset Your Microsoft Account’s Password
One of the most basic methods that you can follow is by clicking on forgot password. It might sound like a common thing to do but resetting it comes in pretty handy at times.
- Tap on Reset Password given below the password field.
- Then you will be asked some security questions that you had set while creating the account.
- You will be able to change the password if you answer the questions correctly.
Note: Resetting is the only method that works if you’re locked out of a Windows 10 account linked to a Microsoft account. The remaining methods work only with local accounts.
Unlock Windows 10 with Another Account
It is possible that the user has another Windows account on their other device. Although there is the majority that has only one account on Windows, the ones who do can follow this method.
- Restart Windows 10 and wait for the login screen to appear.
- Press the Shift Key 5 times to activate SAC (Super Administrator Account).
- Login to the SAC account and go to the Control Panel.
- In the Computer Management section, change the password of your main account.
- Now, restart the locked Windows 10 device again and log in using your new password.
Reset Windows 10 Password Free Online
If the above methods didn’t work for you, then you can try this method of resetting the password online for free. Here are some easy steps to take for the procedure:
- Visit https://account.live.com/password/reset from any browser on any computer or device.
- Type your Microsoft account in the account field and then enter the verification code.
- Then click Next to move on.
- Select one way to reset your Microsoft account password online on the following screen and follow the operation step by step.
Unlock Windows 10 via Command Prompt
It may look complicated for unlocking Windows 10 through the Command Prompt but don’t worry as we have concluded some easy steps to understand and follow. Using them you will be able to apply the changes as given below:
- From an installation disc or a USB drive, boot your computer.
- Then in the Windows Setup interface, press Shift + F10 directly to launch Command Prompt.
- After that, type the following commands and press Enter after each one.
move c:windowssystem32utilman.exe c:
copy c:windowssystem32cmd.exe c:windowssystem32utilman.exe
- Take out of the drive or disc and reboot your computer.
- On the login screen, click the following icon and the Command Prompt window will pop up.
- Type net user <username> <password> and hit Enter to set a new password for the locked account. Alternatively, you can add a new admin account to Windows 10 by using these commands:
net user <username> /add
net localgroup administrators <username> /add
- Restore the Utility Manager after you finish resetting your password. Just boot the PC from the bootable disc or USB, open Command Prompt, type copy c:utilman.exe c:windowssystem32utilman.exe, press Enter, and type Yes.
Then, you can use the new password to log in to the admin account you have reset the password.
Use a Password Reset Disk
Some users keep their password reset disk saved from the time of setting up their Windows Account. If you are one of them, you can try the method by using the steps given below:
- Sign in to your computer with any wrong password. Click on “Reset password” under the password input box.
- After the password reset box appears, insert your password reset disk into the computer.
- Reset your forgotten password step-by-step by following the instructions from the prompts.
Reinstall Windows 10
This method isn’t the absolute solution, but it’s your only option if the above-mentioned methods don’t help. A clean reinstallation of Windows 10 will remove all existing accounts. This will delete most existing data as well. Make sure that you only follow this method as the last resort left.
|Solution Synopsis: Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Get started under ‘Reset this PC’.|
Note: A full reinstallation wipes your entire drive, so select ‘Remove everything’ to ensure a clean reinstallation is performed.
Windows 10 Facts
- After just a month of its launch, over 75 million devices were running Windows 10.
- In virtually every country on the planet, Windows 10 is running in 192 countries.
- More than 90,000 unique PC or tablet models were upgraded to Windows 10.
- Windows 10 is now running on more than 800 million devices worldwide.
- More than 122 years of gameplay have streamed from Xbox One to Windows 10 devices.