Are you struggling with ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing’ error on Windows? If yes, there is nothing to be worried about as this error mostly occurs whenever you try to open a program or file on Windows and are welcomed with this error message “The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem”.
The good thing is there is nothing to panic about as there are several ways to easily fix this error. So let’s get started.
Reasons Due to Which api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is Missing
The major reason due to which ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll’ file has gone missing is that it is included in Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. The error arises when your device doesn’t have this software or the software that is already installed has gone missing, is corrupted, or incompatible.
Solutions to Apply When api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll has Gone Missing
Here are the fixes you can try to fix when facing this error:
Case-1 If Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 isn’t Installed
There are two ways using which you can install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015:
1. Using Windows Update
Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 is available in Windows Update KB2999226, so you can get it as follows:
- In the search box of Windows, type ‘Update’, and then from the search results, click ‘Check for Updates’ for Windows 10 and ‘Windows Update’ for Windows 7.
- Then click on ‘Check for Updates’. You may also see all the available updates in a list, click on ‘Download’ to install them on your Windows.
- After the updates have been installed, restart your computer and make sure you have installed all the necessary updates.
- Now open the program you were trying to open before and then see if you are getting the same error.
2. Download it from Microsoft
If the above didn’t work for you, you can download the software from the official Microsoft website as follows:
- Go to the Official webpage of Microsoft- https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=48145
- Click on ‘Download’ after selecting the language
- Next, select your device on which you are facing the error if it is x64 or x86(x32) and then click on ‘Next’.
- The download will start and when it is over, double-click on the file and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Now, try to open the program and see if api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing or not.
Case-2 If Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 is Installed
If you have already downloaded and installed api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll and still it is showing error, you need to repair it or replace the copy of the file.
1. Repair Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
Here’s how you can try to repair the pre-installed Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015:
- Go to ‘Control Panel’ from the Start menu
- Then click on ‘Programs and Features’
- Look for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable and then click on ‘Change’.
- After that, click on the ‘Repair’ option and then click ‘Yes’ when prompted.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair process.
2. Copy api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
If none of the above methods work for you, copy the file that is missing on your device from another PC. So you will not need to download api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll, just copy the file as follows:
- Open up the Search box of your device and then type ‘System Information’ there. This will help you know your Windows system type.
- Now, press the Windows key and E together to open the File Explorer.
- There in the search box, type C:\Windows\System32, and then again in its search box, type api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll; press Enter.
- If you found the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file, copy and paste it into the same location as where you copy the file on the computer you are facing a problem with.
That’s how you can deal with the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file missing error on Windows.