Facebook is not just a social platform, it is a whole world in itself. It has the capability to keep you busy for long, especially when you have not logged into your Facebook account for a while. That time it can also happen that you have forgotten your Facebook password, or you don’t remember the email address. Also, some users decide to stay logged into their Facebook account on the device they use every day and when all of a sudden, they get inadvertently logged out, it gets hard to remember the password.
But nothing to worry about as you are not the only one to face this. Every now and then, millions of users keep losing access to their Facebook accounts for several reasons. So if you are one of them, go through the article provided below to get comprehensive information about the Facebook password recovery process.
Note- This article aims to help users in recovering a Facebook account on the desktop as well as using the Facebook Mobile App.
Note- Information in this article can also help you to reset the password if your Facebook account has got hacked or compromised.
Ways to Get Back to Your Facebook Account
First, I will explain the straightforward option that you get to reset the password of your Facebook account.
Important- Please keep in mind that the steps to reset the password keeps changing occasionally, if you see different information than the one provided further here, just go on following the on-screen instructions provided by Facebook.
Reset Facebook Login Password
If you no longer remember the right password, recover your account using Facebook’s sign-in page:
- Go to www.facebook.com and click on ‘Forgotten Password’
- On the next page, enter the email address or phone number associated with your Facebook account, click ‘Search’.
- You will see a list of account recovery options depending on the information you have added to your account.
- Mainly, you need access to your email address or phone number associated with your Facebook account. Select the one you can quickly access and then click ‘Continue’.
Note- In case, your account has got hacked, you need to be extra quick in resetting your password as if the hackers get successful in removing your email address or phone number from your account and adding theirs, it will become almost impossible to recover your account.
- Depending on the option you selected, Facebook will send you a code. In my case, I selected my email address, and here is the email that I have received.
Enter the code or click on the ‘Change Password’ link, and you will be allowed to change the password of your Facebook account. Once done with that, log in to your FB account using the new password; don’t forget to save your password somewhere to not lose it again.
That’s the one official way to reset the password of your Facebook account by proving your identity using the recovery methods and then setting up a new password.
The Other Scenario- No Longer Have Access to These? What Now?
Along with the recovery options, you will also get one option to choose, i.e. ‘No longer have access to these?’ Click on this option if you don’t have access to the recovery methods linked to your Facebook account.
Now, this can be problematic as Facebook can only give you access to change the password if you are the owner, but for that, you will need to prove your ownership. The account recovery information works as proof and if you are not able to provide that, Facebook has no way to confirm that you are the rightful owner of the account, hence you can’t be allowed access. In some cases, Facebook accounts can also get disabled if the user is unable to verify the identity.
Alternate Facebook Password Recovery Options
No need to get disheartened as there are some ways using which you can regain access even without an email or phone number as explained below:
Login with an Alternate Email Address or Phone Number
If you have linked more than one email address or phone number to your Facebook account, you can use any of those to recover the Facebook password.
Use Trusted Accounts to Recover your Account
If you have reached here, it means none of the above methods was of help to you. You can also take the help of your trusted contacts to reset your Facebook password. But it is important that you have selected 3 to 5 friends as your ‘Trusted Contacts’ that you can call for help if you ever get locked out of your account.
Note- The ‘Trusted Contact’ method will only work when you have added some of your friends to the trusted contacts list before losing access to your account. Also, you need to remember the name of at least one of the friends whom you have added as trusted, only then Facebook will reveal all the names.
Here are the simple steps that you can follow to regain access to your account:
- Visit the Facebook login page and under the ‘Password’ box, click on ‘Forgotten Password.
- Now on the password reset page where you see the recovery options, click on ‘No longer have access to these’.
- On the next page, Facebook will ask you to enter an email address or phone number that you have access to and press ‘Continue’.
- Next, click on ‘Reveal my Trusted Contacts’ and enter one of the names of the contacts you have provided earlier.
- Your friends will receive the link, ask them to follow the link and send the code received to you.
- You can use the same code to get access to your Facebook account.
Check Saved Login Information
Facebook doesn’t give you an option to see your current password, if you know it, you can log in and if not, then reset it. This is done to maintain the security of your Facebook account. So, there is no way to recover your existing FB password except one.
If you allowed your browser to remember the password for you, then you might get lucky.
If you use Google Chrome, here is how to do it:
- Click on the three-dots menu icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Then click on ‘Settings’
- On the left, click on ‘Autofill’
- Then select the first option ‘Passwords’
- And then click on ‘Check Passwords’
- There you will be able to see all the passwords that you have saved in your browser.
All this will only work if you have already allowed your browser to save your passwords, otherwise, this is not going to help you out.
Note- Saving your passwords in your browser is not at all secure as anyone with access to your device can easily take your passwords. This is a major security concern, hence you should not opt for this method and don’t save your password in your browser.
So, if you were able to retrieve your Facebook account using any of the methods explained above, consider yourself lucky. Make sure to secure your account in a better way:
- Add more than one email address and phone number,
- Not logging on random websites using your Facebook account
- Not using your Facebook account on public devices or Wi-Fi that is not secure.
- Do not share your Facebook login details with anyone.
- Do not save your passwords where they can be easily seen by others.
- Use two-factor verification and trusted contact methods to add an extra layer of security.
- Also, keep your primary email address secure as that will help you in resetting the password.