From its interesting set of features, like YouTube Shorts and dark mode on YouTube, to holding the record for longest video ever on YouTube, YouTube has set a benchmark for itself.
Ever since YouTube stepped into the video-streaming platform market, there hasn’t really been a major competitor that reached the same level of success with a better concept.
As most media and production houses choose YouTube for releasing their teasers and trailers of projects, is there the same reliability in its private sphere?
There are various users that have raised the question of ‘how to download Private YouTube videos?’. And also whether it is even possible. So sit tight as we will be answering these and related questions in the following article.
About Private Videos on YouTube
For those of you who don’t know about private videos on YouTube, they are the most secure way of posting videos on YouTube for a limited number of people.
So now the question is can you download private YouTube videos just like you can download YouTube videos?
Can You Download Private YouTube Videos?
Now that you have the concept of private videos on YouTube clear let’s now move on to the next question that may come to your mind. And that is – can you download private YouTube videos?
The straight answer to that is YES! If you want to download private videos from YouTube from your own channel or account, you can do so with the help of the steps that we will be explaining in the article.
However, if you want to download private YouTube videos without access from a different uploader, it can get a bit tricky, especially if you don’t have permission from the owner of private videos. Some users also question whether it is possible to watch private videos on YouTube.
So there are some methods using which you can download private YouTube videos. Now let’s head over to the steps for ‘how to download private YouTube videos.’
How to Download Private YouTube Videos?
There can be plenty of reasons to download private YouTube videos of your own channel. It is a pretty simple process, and within just a matter of a few clicks, you can download private videos from YouTube.
We have given the steps for ‘how to download private videos from YouTube’ using our own channel as follows:
- Open YouTube on your device and log in to your account.
- Then click on Your Videos from the column on the left.
- Now click on Content, and you can view your channel’s private video(s).
- Select the video by clicking on the box given on the left.
- After that, tap on the three vertical dots, and options will appear. Select Download.
📝 Note: You can also tap on More Actions and select Download, for downloading the private video(s).
Now you know how to download private videos on YouTube, and after following the above-given steps, the selected private video will start getting downloaded.
However, if you want to know how to download private YouTube videos without access, the methods for it are explained in the following section.
How to Download Private YouTube Videos Without Access?
If you want to download private videos on YouTube from someone else’s account or channel without access, there are some methods for it. However, the ways to do it are categorized as per your browser or device.
With Developer Tools
If you are a Firefox user, you can use Network Developer Tools to download private YouTube videos. The Firefox Add-on called YouTube Video and Audio Downloader can be used to download YouTube videos.
While there is a workaround to download it if you are a Chrome user, there is no surety that this method works fully well as you may need to have access or permission from the private video’s owner.
Talking about permission and access, some YouTube users question if there are different methods to take YouTube videos’ screenshots, but that’s a different story for private videos.
Via Third-Party Tools
There are some YouTube private video downloader tools that will help you in downloading private YouTube videos. We are going to explain the steps for some private YouTube video downloaders, so they can help you to download private YouTube videos without access.
It is an ad-free and secure video downloader app that supports downloading from up to 90 websites. Not only that, it converts to 10 formats as well. It offers more than just downloading videos, and the steps to use it are as follows.
- Step 1: Go to the SnapDownloader website and click on Download now and try for FREE.
- Step 2: After downloading it, launch the app and either take its free trial or buy the full version.
- Step 3: Then head over to the Browser tab and select YouTube.
- Step 4: Now, sign in to your YouTube account.
- Step 5: Then go to the YouTube video that you want to download and tap on the Download icon.
- Step 6: Select the video by ticking it, and the video will start downloading.
Now the private YouTube video will start getting downloaded in the selected format and quality.
4K Video Downloader
As you may already be aware, there are many YouTube private video downloader tools available online that allow downloading videos from YouTube. However, there are very few that allow downloading private YouTube videos. One of them is the 4K Video Downloader.
- Step 1: Launch the 4K Video Downloader.
- Step 2: Once it opens, click on Tools > Preferences.
- Step 3: Then select Log In.
- Step 4: After that, log in to your YouTube account.
- Step 5: As you get logged in, you will be able to see your account name next to “Logged in as”.
- Step 6: Now copy the link to the private YouTube video that you want to download.
- Step 7: Open the 4K Video Downloader and click on Paste Link.
- Step 8: Next, select the format and quality you want and tap on Download.
The changes will be applied to the selected private YouTube video, and it will begin to get downloaded.
Like the other tools explained so far, ByClick Downloader has a similar way of working. It also offers downloading videos from up to 40 sites, and not just YouTube, in various formats. The steps are given below for using it to download private YouTube videos.
- Step 1: Go to the ByClick Downloader website and click on Download.
- Step 2: Open it once it gets downloaded.
- Step 3: Select the country and tap on Next a couple of times.
- Step 4: After it gets installed, click on Run By Click Downloader.
- Step 5: Now you can download the private video in three easy steps, select the video, paste the URL, and download it.
Just like the above-given YouTube private video downloader tools, there are other tools as well, like VideoProc, that let you download private YouTube videos.
Many of them let you download private videos on mobile as well, but you may also face YouTube videos are not playing on iPhone issue.
So if you are unsure about using third-party tools and want a more secure way of downloading private YouTube videos, you can use browser extensions as well.
Using Browser Extension
If you want to know how to download private videos from YouTube using browser extensions, read on. We will be explaining the steps for both Firefox and Chrome below.
To download private YouTube videos using the Chrome browser extension, you can go for Internet Download Manager (IDM). It is one of the most used add-ons for downloading YouTube videos.
Firstly, you have to install it and restart your Chrome browser. Enable its permission and follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Open YouTube and go to the private video that you want to download.
- Step 2: Once the Download this video option appears, click on it.
- Step 3: After you click on it, you can choose the format and other type that you want in the video.
- Step 4: Then confirm the customization and hit Start Download.
Once the private video has been downloaded, the dialog box for confirmation will appear, as shown below.
For Firefox users, if the Developer Tools method didn’t for workyou, worry not! There is another method using browser extension for downloading private YouTube videos. The steps for it are as follows:
- Step 1: Open Firefox and go to the Video Downloader Professional Firefox website. Then click on Add to Firefox
- Step 2: Once the extension has been added, you will get the different options of quality and format for downloading videos.
- Step 3: Now, you can select the quality and download the video.
The selected private YouTube video will start to get downloaded successfully. However, these steps can’t be followed on Android, or it can be simply an issue of YouTube not working on Android.
Is it Illegal to Download Private YouTube Videos?
If you are a YouTube Premium user, which is subscription-based and offers YouTube Originals as well, you can download the videos easily. With no restrictions, the users can download videos to have an ad-free experience for viewing offline videos.
However, if it is about private videos on YouTube, to be very clear, it is illegal to download YouTube videos in general. After all, it is a punishable offense to download someone’s copyrighted content. And in addition, downloading someone’s private YouTube videos without their knowledge and permission can lead to penalties as well.
On the other hand, if the private YouTube videos are yours, and you want to download the uploaded or saved ones, there is no issue as the copyright is your own.
YouTube Private VS Unlisted Videos
There are many users who get confused between Private and Unlisted videos. So we will now be giving a short brief to help in understanding the difference between the two.
- Private: Private videos on YouTube refer to those videos that can only be seen by those who are given access or permission to view them. The ones who are invited can watch the private videos and unlike public videos, they don’t appear in the search list or recommendations.
- Unlisted: Unlisted videos can only be viewed by those who have the link to the video. The video’s link can be shared with anyone, even if they are not registered YouTube users. They also appear in search results like private YouTube videos.
As you now know about the Private and Unlisted videos on YouTube, let’s have a look at the points of difference between them with the help of the table given below.
|Private Videos||Unlisted Videos|
|The URL of the private video can’t be shared with those who are not invited.||The link for Unlisted videos can be shared with anyone. Those who have it can view the video and then share its URL with others, as well.|
|Private videos do not appear in search results, subscriber feeds, or in the channel itself.||Unlisted videos are not visible in the search results, the channel, or on the subscriber feeds.|
|The private video can be published as a public video if required by scheduling. Until then, the video stays private.||The unlisted videos on YouTube can’t be scheduled.|
With the points given in the table above, it is pretty clear that Private and Unlisted videos on YouTube are not the same. They do hold differences, even if they are not major.
In addition, for privacy reasons, some users question whether you see who views your YouTube videos.
YouTube not only offers video-streaming services for public view only but also for private videos as well. It is not a difficult task if you want to download private YouTube videos, as long as you are the owner or you have legal permission.
However, if you want to download private YouTube videos without access, it might not be as simple. As YouTube prioritizes the privacy of its users in any way possible, it can’t overlook the major possibility of the user downloading private videos. Hence, there is no direct or official way for it.
How to Block a YouTube Channel?
View your YouTube Comments History
Ans: Using different third-party tools, like 4K Video Downloader, Snap Downloader, etc., you can watch private videos without access.
Ans: If you wish to download private videos from other channels, it can be tricky, and you will require help from third-party tools.
Ans: To download the only members of YouTube videos, one has to have the link to the video and then download it with the help of a third-party tool.
Ans: Giving permission to view a private YouTube video is a pretty simple process. The steps for it are as follows:
- Go to YouTube Studio and click on Content.
- Then go to the private video you want to share and tap on the drop-down icon next to Private.
- After that, click on Share Privately.
- Now you can add the email of the person with whom you want to share the link or access the private video.
- Can I copy a private YouTube video’s URL?
If you want to copy the link of a private YouTube video that is not yours, it is nearly impossible. However, if you want to copy the URL of your own private YouTube video, the steps for it are as follows:
|Solution Synopsis: YouTube Studio > Content > Vertical Ellipsis icon > Get shareable link|