Getting your Twitter account suspended can certainly freak you out especially if you were using it for years. Creating a Twitter account and expressing your political, social, or economic views is in trend these days. Most of us directly go on Twitter and tweet whatever comes to our mind regarding something. But Twitter has its rules and regulations in place that you need to follow unless you want your account to get suspended. A single tweet that doesn’t go the Twitter way i.e. either it is abusive or spam can get you off this social media platform. Not only this impersonating someone or creating a fake profile can also get you suspended on Twitter. Apart from this, if Twitter notices your account has been hacked or compromised, they will suspend your account for security reasons.
So many reasons leading to one major consequence i.e. Account Suspension. Recently, the majority of Twitter users found their account suspended; you must be familiar with the recent Donald Trump’s Twitter account suspension. So Twitter has a common habit of suspending accounts whenever it finds something distasteful.
Twitter always has a reason for suspending users’ accounts and in case it has happened mistakenly, there is an option to unsuspend the Twitter account as well.
So if you are here to get some help regarding Twitter Account Suspension, keep on reading as you are going to find a lot of important information. You can directly go to the suspended account recovery section using the table of contents provided here.
Table of Contents
What Does It Mean By a Suspended Twitter Account?
A Twitter account gets suspended for a number of reasons; mainly, it is a violation of a rule, however, it depends on the severity of the violation whether you are going to get your account back or not.
You may be able to log into your Twitter account but aren’t able to perform any action is one form of account suspension and not being able to login to your account and getting an email regarding account suspension is another.
In my situation, “I normally logged into my Twitter account one day and was asked to verify my phone number that I don’t have access to. So, I tried to reset my password using my email address but still, it asked me to verify my linked phone number to continue using my account. And after several failed login attempts, I was able to login to my Twitter account but to a suspended one. My followers and following were reduced to zero and upon submitting an appeal, describing the issue, I got my account back after a few days.”
So that was about how suspension looks like and my story of a suspended Twitter account. Now, let’s have a look at the causes and recovery methods.
Why Your Twitter Account Got Suspended?
It is important to know what can get your account suspended so that you can avoid making such mistakes in the future. Maybe you know where were you mistaken but if you are not sure about whether you were mistaken or not; have a look at some major causes of suspension and see if you have committed any of the mistakes:
1. Over Engagement
Twitter asks for engagement but if you will keep on liking, commenting, or retweeting, Twitter will think of you as a bot and not as a human and eventually this can get your account suspended.
Spamming is another factor that can get you suspended and Twitter has set a clear policy regarding the same. So if you are sending DMs to people containing suspicious links or are posting the same links to your website with the same text over and over again; all such activities are considered spam.
3. Abusive Behavior
Abusive Behavior includes harassing or discriminating against someone on social media platforms including Twitter. If you misuse your freedom of speech once and get reported for that, they will surely suspend your account.
4. Exploiting Privacy
If you are leaking someone’s personal information like their phone number, address or even photos that should not be uploaded otherwise, this is one of the reasons for Twitter account suspension.
5. Impersonating Someone
Representing someone else on social media is not at all acceptable and if you get caught in this act, you will surely get your Twitter account suspended.
All these reasons can get any Twitter account suspended; make sure you are not doing any of these activities.
For more information about a suspended Twitter account, you can read the official article here- https://help.twitter.com/en/managing-your-account/suspended-twitter-accounts
How to Get your Suspended Twitter Account Back?
Let me put this straight- No matter for what reason you have got your Twitter account suspended, the only way to recover it is by submitting an appeal to Twitter; explain your problem thoroughly and provide them your phone number and email address and wait till they get back with a response. That’s the only way to recover your suspended Twitter account.
Having said that, it is not always possible to unsuspend your Twitter account once it gets locked. But still to give it a try, here is how to unsuspend your Twitter account.
NOTE- For severe violations, you may get your Twitter account suspended permanently, in that case, submitting an appeal may not work. This method is only applicable when your Twitter account has been suspended by mistake or for minor violations.
To recover your suspended Twitter account:
- Try to log in to your Twitter account at- https://twitter.com/login using your phone, email, or username and password; click ‘Log in’.
- If you are not able to login or after logging into your Twitter account, you are getting a notification that your account has been suspended, if you think it was a mistake, you can submit an appeal. It depends on the violation that what message you are going to get from Twitter. Here are a few examples of messages you may get:
“your account has been suspended. please contact customer support.”
“this account has been suspended.”
- To submit the appeal, you need to go to this link- https://help.twitter.com/forms/general but make sure you are logged into your suspended Twitter account.
- First, you need to mention the device on which you are experiencing this issue
- Next, you have to give a brief description of the problem, make sure you are able to explain everything in a few words. Here is an example for reference:
I tried to log into Twitter but it asked me to verify my phone number that I don’t have access to, so I tried to reset my password and then access my Twitter account but still, Twitter wanted me to verify my phone number. After several attempts, my account got suspended; I haven’t violated any rules, please help me get my account back.
- For the next part, you have to enter your information like your Full name, Twitter username, Your email, and your Phone number (it is optional, but I would recommend you to enter the one that you have access to).
- Once you have submitted the appeal, you will get a message like this- “Thanks! Your request has been submitted to Twitter. We are usually able to respond within a few days, but some issues may take longer. Please check your email inbox for an email from Twitter support. If you don’t see one, try checking your email’s spam and trash folders.”
- After this, make sure to check your inbox and see if you have received an email from Twitter. Carefully read the instructions provided in the email and then act accordingly.
- In my case, I was asked to verify my email address by replying to the mail I have received from them to prove that I can access my email address; then after two days, I was able to login to my account without facing any issue and that’s how I got my Twitter account unsuspended.
Hopefully, all the information provided regarding suspended Twitter accounts will be of help to you. You can also check out the FAQs section if you still have any queries lingering in your mind.
Normally, the Twitter suspension lasts up to 48 hours but if you have violated a major term, your Twitter account can get suspended for longer or maybe forever.
If you want to view a suspended Twitter accounts, you simply have to type their username in the search box, and on their profile, you will see the message ‘Account Suspended’
Twitter can be used by someone who is 13 years of age or older and if you break that rule, your account can get suspended. Even if you are now 18 but you created your account long back when you were not even 13, this can get you suspended too. Don’t worry follow the instructions provided by Twitter to recover your account back-https://help.twitter.com/en/managing-your-account/account-restoration
Twitter has its reasons for permanently suspending an account and if you create a new account after getting permanently suspended, Twitter is going to suspend all your new accounts. Here is the message that you get from them upon permanent suspension:
No, you cannot delete a suspended Twitter account; you need to unsuspend it first in order to delete it.