With new features getting added, the flow and position of Facebook as the most used social media platform remain the same, topping the chart for yet another year.
But despite being ahead of its competitors, with almost 3 billion users, Facebook isn’t the perfect platform for giving users an issue-free experience. Issues like Facebook Reels not showing occur. And the same seems to be the case with Facebook Messenger as well, with issues like Facebook Messenger not showing messages.
So, are you also annoyed by the “Facebook Messenger Notification won’t go away” issue? Well, many users are facing the issue on Facebook Messenger when there is a Facebook Messenger notification but no message.
So in the article, we are going to discuss the reasons why the “Facebook Messenger Notification won’t go away” issue happens and the fixes for it. Let’s get started and get the ball rolling!
What Causes the “Facebook Messenger Notification Won’t Go Away” Issue?
There are some possible reasons which can lead to the issue of
“Facebook Messenger Notification Won’t Go Away”. So we are going to list below some of them, and you can check out if any of them seems to be the reason in your case.
- There are unread messages in your Inbox.
- You received a new message.
- Facebook Messenger is down.
- There is a bug in your Facebook app.
- Notifications from Facebook Messenger are disabled in Settings.
- Facebook Messenger app is not updated.
- Glitches or bugs in the app.
- Insufficient or low storage issue in your device for notifications.
Now that you know the reasons that can cause the “Facebook notification won’t go away” issue let’s head over to the steps for fixing it and how to get rid of messenger notifications on Facebook.
How to Get Rid of Messenger Notifications on Facebook?
As you may have now, got an idea of why the “Facebook Messenger notification won’t go away” happens and which one was leading to it in your case; let’s head over to the steps to fix this issue.
Check your Messages
It is possible that you may have left a message unread in your inbox or you got a new message request on Messenger from someone. To confirm that, follow the steps:
- Open your browser or Messenger app and log in to your Facebook account.
- Now check if there are any unread messages, or if you have pending Message Requests.
- After that, tap on the People option to see if someone is marked as unread.
Update your App or Browser
If you are sure that all your messages are read on Messenger, you can check whether the Facebook Messenger app or the browser you’re using for it is up-to-date. It is possible that you might be using an older version, and it has bugs and glitches, hence showing Facebook Messenger notifications but no messages. So for checking that, all you have to do is:
- Open the Play Store or App Store and search for Facebook Messenger.
- Now click on Messenger and see if there are any pending updates.
- If there is an update available, click on Update, and it will be done.
📝Note: If you are using Facebook Messenger on a browser, you can simply update it too using the same steps.
Modify your Facebook Messenger Settings
Another method is making changes in the Settings for notifications, as it might help with the issue of “Facebook Messenger showing unread messages”. Here are the steps for it:
- Go to Settings < select Notifications.
- Now look for the Messenger app and tap on it < turn off Notifications.
- Then go to the Messenger app and see if the notification is gone. And if it is, enable the notifications again.
If the Facebook Messenger notification is not gone, try out the next method.
Re-Mark your Messages
If you think that even though all your messages are read, you are still getting the message notification on Messenger, you can remark on your messages and see if that helps.
- Open Messenger on the browser.
- Now tap on Notifications < Three-dots icon < Mark All As Read.
Uninstall and Reinstall the App
In case none of the methods discussed so far worked for you, there is one last resort left for you to try out. And that is, uninstalling and then reinstalling the Facebook Messenger app.
💡 Tip: For those who use Facebook Messenger on their browser, can try clearing their History and logging in again to their Facebook account.
- Press and hold the Messenger app and select Uninstall/Remove App.
- Then go to Play Store or App Store and install it again.
One of these methods will most probably help you in getting away with the issue of “Facebook Messenger notifications” as the solution lies in the ones discussed.
As Facebook is the most used social media platform, millions of people use Facebook Messenger for communicating. And no matter how big a platform is, it can’t be perfect. Hence, users face technical issues on Facebook at times. One of them is “Facebook Messenger notifications won’t go away” which we have discussed in the article.
There are some methods covered in the article for both Android and iOS, using which we can get over this issue. So, hopefully, this “Facebook Messenger notification won’t go away 2022 guide” will help you with getting rid of Messenger Notifications on Facebook.
Ans: There is a high possibility that you’re seeing the notification as a glitch. Sometimes this happens when Messenger is down.
Ans: Firstly, you have to check and confirm that you don’t have any new messages. After that, disable the notifications for Messenger and see if that helps.
Ans: It is pretty easy to check your Archived Chats on Messenger. For doing so,
- Go to Chats.
- Click on your profile picture from the top left.
Then tap on Archived Chats.