With lots of cool features, Facebook Messenger remains on the list of most used social media. Even though there are many new social media platforms for communication out there now and more continue to emerge, Facebook Messenger tends to stay at the top, maybe because of the incredible features like the vanish mode. But along with the good points, comes the bad ones too, as nothing is always perfect.
The users have been complaining about messenger not showing messages. And so, we are here to solve the issue for you and let you in on some pretty easy solutions. By following the steps in the methods, you will be able to figure out the problem and hopefully solve them. In this article, we are going to discuss why Messenger is not showing messages and solve this issue. So without talking further, let’s dig right in!
Reasons for Facebook Messenger Not Showing Messages?
There can be many possible reasons that could be causing the issue of “Messenger is not showing messages”. We have got you some of them listed below, so you can figure out why that might be the case:
- Facebook Messenger is down.
- There is a bug in the Facebook Messenger application.
- There isn’t enough internet data to allow Messenger to display your messages.
- You aren’t using the new or latest version available of the Messenger app.
- There is old cached data on your mobile device.
- The permission from Messenger is limited.
- The Facebook marketplace is not available in your region if you can’t see the marketplace messages.
- It is your Wi-Fi or Internet connection.
- You cannot see messages from a strange non-Facebook friend, it is due to the New Messenger delivery options on Facebook Messenger.
- You may have ignored a person’s chat or archived it on Facebook Messenger.
How to Fix Facebook Messenger Not Showing Messages?
Now that we know why Facebook Messenger is not showing messages, let’s have a look at the methods given below and follow the steps.
Get and Install the Latest Version of Messenger
If the issue still persists, it can be the older version of the Messenger app, and you don’t update Messenger regularly. You may get errors and see unusual problems. For example, it won’t show different messages and conversations, etc. Maybe you need to get the latest version or update your Facebook Messenger application, which is available in the App Store and Play Store. Then restart your smartphone and open the Messenger app, the problem will definitely be solved now.
Diagnose your Wi-Fi or Mobile Data Connection
- Swipe down from the top of your mobile screen.
- Select the gear icon to go to your mobile device settings.
- Then tap on SIM cards and mobile networks.
- Select the Advanced Settings option and then the Mobile Network Diagnostics option.
- Finally, restart your device, and you can also check to see your messages on messenger.com
Clear Cached Data from the Messenger App
- Go to the Android mobile settings app.
- Tap the Apps option.
- Now locate and tap on the Messenger app.
- Tap on the Clear data option and restart your device.
- Now browse your Messenger app and check if the problem is fixed for messages not showing.
Check Hidden Inbox or Message Requests
Since Facebook Messenger always filters messages from non-Facebook friends and strangers, those messages don’t appear in the main Messenger chat box. But, such messages are always available in the messages requests, and they expect you to accept the request to make it a regular or normal chat in the main Messenger inbox. And that’s why this is one of the possible reasons why you don’t see some messages from friends or non-Facebook users.
- Go to your Message Requests in the Messenger app.
- Touch your profile picture and touch the Message requests option; you will see two sections – CAN KNOW AND SPAM OPTIONS.
- Search for messages or chat in any section.
- Then accept the request to start viewing messages you want in your main Messenger inbox.
Facebook Messenger Stats Over the Years
- There are around 1.3 billion Facebook Messenger users worldwide.
- Facebook Messenger was expected to grow to 2.4 billion users by the year 2021.
- Between businesses and users monthly, more than 20 billion messages are exchanged on Facebook Messenger.
- Facebook Messenger consists of more than 300,000 active bots.
- With more than 2 million monthly downloads, Facebook Messenger is one of the leading messaging platforms in the US.
- More than 126 million US mobile users accessed Messenger in 2018.
- Messenger marketing leads to a 70% better open rate than email marketing.
Ans: Facebook separated the messaging functionality from the main Facebook app, and now users can download each one individually. Only a name and a phone number are required in the signup. This is good news for those who don’t want to create a Facebook profile but want to chat with friends on Messenger.
Ans: There can be many probable reasons which can be causing the issue of the Messenger app now showing messages like the app being down or the messages are in the messages requests section.