Is your Facebook dark mode keeps turning off? Then, have a look at this…
These are just two, but Twitter is filled with these tweets. So, it is not that you are alone who is facing the problem with their Facebook app, which just won’t stay in Dark Mode, but there’s a significantly large user base suffering through it.
After the release of the Facebook app update in August 2022, many users started facing the issue in which every time when they open the app, the Dark Mode is automatically turned off.
Nevertheless, if your Facebook Dark Mode is not working, then just jump right into the article below to find the solution to it!
NOTE: The steps for some processes given in the following article can differ depending on the device model, and it’s OS you are using.
- Enable Dark Mode on Facebook
- Troubleshooting Methods when Facebook Dark Mode is not Working on the App
- Fixes for ‘Facebook Dark Mode Keeps Turning off’ on the Browser
Enable Dark Mode on Facebook
As also mentioned earlier, you are not the only user having trouble tuning on dark mode on the Facebook app. It is after an update released by Meta that users are back to normal mode instead of dark mode.
So, instead of moving directly to troubleshooting methods to resolve this issue, it will be wise to manually try enabling dark mode on your Facebook. Doing so can resolve the difficulty instantly, and hopefully, you won’t return to the light mode from dark mode again.
Thus, without further ado, let’s just jump right into the steps for turning on Facebook’s dark mode on different devices:
- First off, open the Facebook app on your device.
- Now, from the bottom of the home screen of the app, tap on the hamburger menu icon (three horizontal lines).
- Tap on the Settings and Privacy option present at the bottom section of the next screen that will appear.
- Scroll down in the list of options that opens further till you see the Dark Mode option, and tap on it.
- Finally, select the On option to turn on Facebook’s dark mode on your iPhone or iPad. As soon as you tap on the option, dark mode will be enabled on your Facebook app on your device.
- To begin with, open the Facebook app on your phone.
- Tap on the hamburger menu icon (three horizontal lines) present at the top of the screen.
- Now, scroll down to the next page that will open, and tap on the Settings and Privacy option.
- This will further open several other options. Scroll down in the list, locate the Dark Mode option, and tap on it.
- Lastly, tap on the On option to turn on dark mode on your Facebook app for Android.
On Facebook Website (Windows or Mac):
- Start by opening the browser on your desktop and logging into your Facebook account by visiting the Facebook Login page.
- After you are logged into your Facebook account, click on your profile picture/icon present in the top right corner of the screen.
- Thereafter, a menu will open from where you have to click on the Display & Accessibility option.
- This will open several options. Find the Dark Mode option at the top of the list, and select On under it to enable Facebook dark mode on your computer.
Note: Instead of selecting the ‘On’ option to enable dark mode on your device, you can select the ‘System’ or ‘Automatic’ option as well. With this, Facebook will be set to the mode your device is using. So, if dark mode is enabled on your device, the Facebook app will also use the same.
With this done, your ‘Facebook won’t stay on Dark Mode’ issue should be resolved. However, if you are still facing the issue, then get onto the solution listed further.
Troubleshooting Methods When Facebook Dark Mode is not Working on the App
If you are reading this section, your Facebook app must not be staying in Dark Mode. Well, don’t worry; I have got you covered!
Jotted further are some of the most effective methods for getting through the ‘Facebook dark mode not working’ issue.
Update the Facebook App
Though the problem with the Facebook app not staying in dark mode had started with its update, if there’s a bug in the app, then the most likely fix for the issue is updating the app itself.
It is so because whenever an update is released, and if it has a bug or an issue like this one, reported by a significantly large user community, then the fix of it is released in the next app update.
Therefore, if you are using the Facebook app on your Android or iOS device, then go to your respective app store and check if any further Facebook update is available. If it is there, then it must be with the fix of the issue, so install it right away.
For a brief reference on how to update the app, go through the steps given below:
- On your device, open the app store (Apple App Store for iOS and Google Play Store for Android) you use for downloading apps.
- Search for Facebook in its search bar.
- This will open the Facebook app page. There, look if the Update option is present, and if it is there, tap on it to start the installation of the new version.
Tip: After you have updated the app, it is advised to restart your device in order to ensure that new changes are applied.
Update Your Device’s OS
Another reason why dark mode keeps turning off on your Facebook app can be its incompatibility with your device’s OS version. If you are using the latest version of the app, but haven’t updated your device’s OS in the long run, or vice versa, then incompatibility issues between the app and the OS can arise.
It must be because the app is no longer compatible to run on the OS you are using. Thereby, go to your phone’s system settings and check if any update is available.
In case of any confusion regarding how you can update your phone, you can follow the steps stated below:
- First, open the Settings app on your device.
- Tap on the General section inside Settings.
- From the General settings page, tap on the Software Update option.
- Now, if the OS update for your device is available, you will see the Download and Install option on the following screen. So, tap on it to update your device.
- Go to the Settings app of your phone.
- Scroll down on the Settings page and tap on the About Phone section.
- Then, look for the Software Update option and tap on it.
- Finally, tap on the Download and Install option. Your device will look for any available updates, if any, the same will be displayed on your screen, from where you can hit the Install/Download button to start the installation.
Uninstall the App and Download it Again
Still stuck on the ‘Why does Facebook keep turning off dark mode?’ issue. If yes, then the difficulty can be because your Facebook app is having some background glitches due to which it keeps turning off the dark mode. In such a case, the most prominent solution is to uninstall the app and download it again.
By tapping and holding the Facebook app’s icon on your phone’s home screen, you will see the option to delete the app. Hit that option, let the process end, proceed to the app store, and download the Facebook app again.
Enable Dark Mode for your Device
If you have enabled Automatic Dark Mode setting on your iPhone, then it can be why your Facebook dark mode keeps turning off. Because of the automatic setting, the mode will change itself according to the lighting conditions of your surroundings.
Thus, another solution to the issue can be enabling system-wide dark mode on your device. Listed below are the steps for how you can do that:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Scroll down on the Settings page and tap on the Display and Brightness section.
- Finally, ensure the Automatic option under the APPEARANCE section is turned off. Additionally, tap on the Dark option to enable dark mode on your device.
- After this is done, open the Facebook app and see if it is now appearing in the dark more or not.
- On your phone, go to the Settings app.
- Tap on the Display section inside it.
- Finally, tap on the Dark option to enable the dark mode on the whole device.
- Once this is done, open the Facebook app to see if it is now using dark mode.
Close the Facebook App from the Background
Even after all these solutions, if you are still asking ‘What happened to dark mode on Facebook?’, then here’s another solution to the issue.
If your Facebook app is opened for a long time in the background, then it may enter into a suspended state, because of which it will not update with new changes and incoming information. Thereby, it can also be the reason why, even after manually turning on the black mode on your Facebook app, it is not working.
Thereby, to resolve this issue, remove the Facebook app from the background and open it again.
For doing so on iPhone, double-tap on the home button or swipe up from the bottom of the screen to view the apps opened in the background. Swipe left and right to find the Facebook app, once found, swipe it up to close it.
For Android devices, tap on the option to open the background apps screen, from the phone’s bottom menu panel. Now, swipe left and right or up and down to find the Facebook app and remove it.
Clear App’s Cache
Damaged cache files can also mess up your Facebook app’s functioning, leading to some internal conflict, because of which, it is not staying in the dark mode. Thereby, clearing Facebook’s app cache can help you out of this situation.
Here’s how you can do this:
- Launch your phone’s Settings app.
- Scroll down on the Settings page and tap on the Apps section.
- This will open the list of apps installed on your device. Scroll through the list, find the Facebook app, and tap on it.
- Finally, when the App Info page of the Facebook app opens, tap on the Clear Cache option to delete the program’s cache files.
Note: Deleting the app’s cache won’t affect the data stored on your phone, therefore, you can carry out the process without any fear of losing data.
Though iPhone and iPad provide no such specific option to delete app cache, you can ‘Offload’ the app instead. Doing so will lead to the uninstallation of the app from the device, however, without any data loss. Thereafter, you will have to re-install the application from the App Store, and as soon as you do it, your data will become intact with the app, as it was before offloading it. Here’s how you can do this:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Tap on the General section inside it.
- Now, tap on the iPhone/iPad Storage option.
- Thereafter, the list of apps present on your device will appear. From there, tap on Facebook.
- On the following Facebook app’s page, tap on the Offload App button to carry out the desired task. Again, tap on the same option on the pop-up screen to confirm the action.
Fixes for ‘Facebook Dark Mode Keeps Turning off’ on the Browser
The solutions listed above were for the situation when your Facebook Dark Mode keeps turning off on its app on your phone. However, if you are using Facebook on your browser, then here are some fixes that can help you resolve this difficulty:
- Clear Browser Cookies & Cache: Even after specifically enabling the Dark Mode on your Facebook account on the browser, it keeps turning off, then your browser’s corrupted cache must be causing the trouble. Thus clearing browser cookies and cache files can be of use.
- Switch to Compatible Browser: Facebook works best with the browsers which are compatible with it. These are Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and Microsoft Edge. In case you are using any other browser, try accessing Facebook on one of these.
- Update the Browser: Using a browser’s outdated version can make it incompatible with advanced Facebook settings and features, leading to several problems, including this one. Thereby, update the browser and then try enabling Facebook’s Dark Mode.
- Remove Malicious/Interfering Extensions: If you have installed an extension in the browser to change its light mode, it can interfere with Facebook’s settings and overwrite it. Also malicious extensions can also lead to such difficulties. Therefore, find such an extension and uninstall it from your browser.