Imagine wanting to text your high school friend to reconnect with them only to find the “This Person is Unavailable on Messenger” error message on Facebook Messenger.
Well, that must be saddening. As the excitement comes all the way flushing down. But don’t let such a minor issue get the best of you, as we are here to provide you with some easy methods that will come in pretty handy for you to solve this issue! There are more who have been asking about the “This Person is Not Available on Messenger” issue happening and saying that despite not blocking the other user’s account, they are getting this message. And so, we are here to spill it all for you!
In this article, we are going to discuss what the error “This Person is Not Available on Messenger” means and what the possible reasons could be causing it. We are also going to explain some easy fixes using which you will be hopefully able to get rid of this issue. Now let’s dive right in without wasting another minute!
What Does “This Person is Unavailable on Messenger” Mean?
When you see the message “This person is unavailable on Messenger” on Facebook Messenger, it does not always mean that you are blocked by the other person. It can. But, it is not solely the only reason.
This message can have different reasons and meanings. The other person may have deactivated their account or there could be a fault from your end like not having enough internet to load the messages on the app.
Even though Facebook itself has a help center to guide its users to fix the most common problems, you may not always have solutions for everything there. So, let’s discuss some reasons and how to get around those issues.
What Are the Causes for “This Person is Unavailable on Messenger” Error Message?
- The person has deactivated the account – It isn’t unusual for people to take a break from the social media world, and so they deactivate their account. Facebook also offers the option to deactivate your Facebook account by giving a reason and confirming whether you will be back or not on the platform. If the user you are trying to contact on the app has also deactivated their account, then you will probably get the message “This Person is Unavailable on Messenger.”
- The user blocked you – It can happen intentionally (due to some personal rifts or disagreement reasons) or unintentionally that the person you are trying to contact has blocked you. If this is the case, then you will either get the message that “You can’t reply to this conversation” or “This Person is Unavailable on Messenger.”
- Facebook suspended the account – Facebook, just like other social media platforms, has created its own community guidelines, and breaking them can result in bad consequences, like getting suspended from the platform. So, if the user that you are trying to contact on Facebook Messenger has got their account suspended by Facebook due to some violation of guidelines, then you will most likely be unable to contact them on the app.
- Messenger has crashed or stopped working – It is rare but not impossible for a mega social media platform like Facebook to crash and hence Facebook Messenger. So it is a possibility that if the app is crashing or down, that can cause the error message.
- The user deleted their Facebook or Messenger account – Due to their own n-number of reasons, a plethora of users decide to go off from social media or simply cut the cord, i.e. delete their account. So if the user you want to chat with on Facebook Messenger has also deleted his or her account, then you certainly won’t be able to connect with them.
- The profile may be private – Many people prefer to stay private or low-key, and so they keep their accounts on social media private. Hence, if the person you want to connect with has kept their account on Facebook Messenger private, then you would get the message “This Person is Unavailable on Messenger.”
- You blocked them mistakenly – As discussed earlier, it is certainly possible that the person you are trying to get in touch with might have blocked your account purposely or by accident. So, the same can happen in your case as well. If you have blocked the person unknowingly, you won’t be able to contact them.
- The user does not have the Messenger app installed on their phone – Even though many users are aware of the Facebook Messenger app, some tend to keep only the Facebook app on their devices. And so, in order to connect with the person on Messenger, it is mandatory for them to be available on the app. If they aren’t, you will get a message from Facebook Messenger about their unavailability.
- The Account is Temporarily Unavailable – There are many glitches and bugs present, as no app is perfect. And there are many reasons why an account can be temporarily unavailable, like their account being banned by Facebook, they have deactivated their account, or they have deleted their account and so it no longer exists.
Steps to Fix “This Person is Unavailable on Messenger” Issue
There are many possible fixes by which you can get rid of the error “This Person is Unavailable on Messenger”. Now, we are going to share some pretty easy methods and all you’ve to do is follow the given steps one by one. So without further ado, let’s get started!
Check your Facebook Memories
You can check your account status by Facebook Memory. With this option, you can find out previous likes or comments. In case the username is clickable or blue which takes you to his/her profile, then it is an indication you are not blocked by the user. If you can’t do the whole process, so you are abandoned, respectively.
- Open the Facebook app on your phone.
- Go to the search bar and search for “Memories” and click on it.
- Go to the Facebook website
- Under the “Explore” option, on the main page sidebar, click on “See More”.
- Scroll down and click on “Memories”.
Check your Internet Connection
Never forget to check your internet status. Having a weak wave sometimes makes the app partially functional and cannot run the services. You can try sending a message or opening a chat with a different person and see the same happen to that chat. If you can send a message, then your internet connectivity is stable.
Try Facebook Lite
If you are doubtful that there might be some glitch or bug within the application itself, then using Facebook Lite might do the trick. All you have to do is follow the steps given below:
- Go to the Play Store and search Facebook Lite.
- Then tap on the Install icon.
- After that, log in using the credentials of your Facebook account and see if you are able to contact the person now.
Check Account Status
- Check if the account of the person whom you are trying to chat with is active or not. As the person may have decided to deactivate the account for some time, or they may have permanently deleted their account. Search the user by name or email address. If the person appears, then that means the account is still active.
- Likewise, you can check their account status through a mutual friend also. Simply send a message from a friend’s account and notice if you encounter the same message. If you get the same message, then it is possible that their account is not active.
Update the Application
First, check if there is a new update for the app on Google Play or App Store. In some cases, installing the latest version can resolve the problem easily.
Check if You Are Blocked
As discussed earlier in one of our reasons why the message appears, the possibility of getting blocked can go the other way round as well. It is also a possible scenario that you have been blocked by the person you are trying to reach for their own reasons and hence, you will most likely get the message. So in order to make sure that this isn’t the case, you can give it a check.
Contact Facebook Team
Facebook tries its best to keep its application running online round-the-clock. Nonetheless, there may be instances when there is a glitch or a bug that can cause the application to behave unusually.
You should first try out all the above fixes. If nothing gets your job done, then you always have the option to contact Facebook to know more about your problem. You can email them at [email protected], which is their basic support email address. But in cases where you lost access to your account and need to recover it, you can contact them at [email protected]