If you are looking to upgrade your kitchen or start a new home this is going to be the first factor you need to decide upon. Induction cooktop or gas stove?
Both the products have a huge commercial range and they come with their own set of pros and cons. Using a best gas stove is the most traditional method of cooking. Induction cooktop is the new talk of the town now. If you are in a dilemma, take a look at our blog on induction cooktop vs gas to get an idea of the ultimate choice for your kitchen.
What is an Induction Cooktop?
Induction cooking has been put to use since the early 90’s. An Induction cooktop heats up pans and pots directly by using magnetic induction through electricity. It functions with a copper coil wire placed under the cooking pot and has electric currents pass through the wire. Due to this mechanism, an induction cooktop requires special pots and pans made of stainless steel or cast iron. This method also maintains a consistent temperature throughout.
KENT, Philips, Havells, Pigeon and Prestige are ruling the market in the best induction cooktops niche.
The Good Side:
- By generating instant heat within the metal, an induction cooktop can boil water 50% faster.
- The smooth surface makes the cooktop easy to clean.
- It is very easy to control the temperature.
- Renowned brands come with a pre set menu. You can make chapattis, boil water or milk, prepare curry or soup with just a touch of a button.
- The overheating protection feature makes it extremely safe to use.
- Attractive design will add a charisma to your kitchen.
- Beneficial for the environment.
- Pricing is a little on the steeper side.
- Restricted to “induction-safe” vessels.
- Incase of loss of power, induction cooktop cannot be operated.
- Restricted cooking- number of dishes.
What is Gas Cooking or Gas Stove?
We are all aware about gas cooking and a gas stove. However, just to sum it up we would say a gas stove is powered by flammable gas such as propane, natural gas, butane etc. It comes with a two, three or four burner which ignites the oxygen gas mixture with a flame through its holes.
The good side?
- Gas cooking is suitable for all pans and pots.
- Not dependent on power cuts.
- No stress about the placement and size of the utensil. It provides a hassle-free experience.
- Great for most Indian cooking.
- It is cost effective.
- You can cook more than one dish at a time.
- Inflammable- Can cause burns.
- Can generate heat in the environment.
- Cleaning can be tedious due to the burners.
- Flames will produce CO2.
- Need to switch off the fans.
Quick Difference- Induction Cooktop vs Gas Stove
For an easy understanding of induction vs gas cooktop, we are providing you with a comparison table.
We have compared an induction cooktop with a gas stove based on the following attributes:
|Attributes||Induction Cooktop||Gas Stove|
Our Final Verdict:
Cooking is the heart of every kitchen, and the kitchen is the most important part in every household.
After comparing an induction cooktop with a gas stove we hope you are clear on what your kitchen needs. Let’s give you our point of view.
Based on all the study and research done, we are more inclined towards an induction cooktop over a gas stove. An induction cooktop is a clear winner for us based on energy efficiency, maintenance, safety, comfort, space requirements, design and speed.
So let’s get modern and leave our traditional ways of life behind.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How to use non induction cookware on induction cooktop?
The only way to use a non-induction cookware on an induction cooktop is with the help of a converter disk. This is made of iron or stainless steel and is flat. The disk evenly distributes the heat through the cookware and has a safe heat proof handle.
- Which is cheaper- induction cooker or gas stove?
In terms of purchasing the cookware at first, an induction cooktop could be more expensive than the gas stove. There is a huge range of economical gas stoves available in the market today.
- Can non-stick pans be used on an induction stove?
Yes, a non-stick pan can be used on an induction stove. However, it needs to have a magnetic base. There are a lot of options available now which come with an “induction ready” seal.
- Can you slow cook on induction?
Induction cooktops do come with low, medium, and high switches on it. These are meant for having a good temperature control. So yes, you can surely slow cook on an induction stove.
- Why is induction cooking faster?
While cooking on a gas stove you need to wait for the elements to heat the burner and then the cookware and finally the food in it. An induction cooktop does not require these steps to be done. They are more energy efficient and will get the food cooked in no time.
- Is induction cooking safe for health?
Since there is no naked flame, we would say induction cooking is safe for health.