Gmail accounts are tied to significant features on your computer or Android phone, including YouTube, Google Search, Google maps, etc. It can be more frustrating if you lose access to the Gmail account as it practically locks you out of access to the significant features.
However, before we illustrate the recovery process, it is still vital that you remember the Gmail address. If you use several email addresses with similar usernames, it is easier to forget the same account. You can still retrieve the exact address through your contacts.
Note that you can check your Chrome bookmarks in an attempt to recover deleted data. Also, the recovery process is best carried out on a laptop or desktop computer, and you can also restore lost history on Chrome, such as passwords.
How to Recover Your Lost Gmail Username
If you can’t find your Gmail address even after asking your friends, go to the Google sign-in page and click on the “Forgot email” section under the email column to initiate data recovery for PC.
You will be required to type in your recovery email address or phone number associated with the account you are trying to recover. Follow the prompts to confirm your identity and that the account you are trying to recover belongs to you.
Gmail will then present a list of usernames that match your account, and you can choose from the list an account similar to your lost address.
How to Recover a Lost Gmail Account with a Recovery Email Address
Other than to recover deleted Chrome history, Google allows you to recover lost accounts with a recovery email or phone number. However, you can use the recovery email if you had not set up a recovery phone number before losing access to the account.
- Step 1: Open the log-in page on the Gmail page.
- Step 2: Enter the Gmail address and tap “Next.”
- Step 3: Click on the “Forgot Password” icon below the password field.
- Step 4: Click on the “Try another way” icon. This will take you to the “Get a Verification Code” link, and a link will be sent to your recovery email on clicking on this icon. Ensure you remember the full recovery email address and has full access to it.
- Step 5: Click “Send” to allow Gmail to send the account verification code to the recovery email.
- Step 6: Open the email account you have used as recovery to retrieve the verification code.
- Step 7: Type the Verification code into the verification box and tap “Verify.”
- Step 8: Reset the password when prompted to “Reset your password.” Make sure to use a strong password that you can remember. Do not use a similar password you previously used with the same account.
How to Recover a Lost Gmail Account Via SMS
- Step 1: Go to the Google sign-in page on your browser.
- Step 2: Enter the email address you intend to recover and click “Next.”
- Step 3: Click “Forgot Password,” enter the last password you remember, and click “Next.”
- Step 4: Enter your recovery phone number. This is the phone number you used to register the Email account. Ensure that the country code is correct.
- Step 5: Click on “Send verification code” to get the verification code by SMS on your phone. Ensure you have the phone with you, or you can reach the phone through a friend or family member.
- Step 6: Enter the code in the box and click “Verify.”
- Step 7: When prompted to reset the password, choose a strong password and ensure you can easily remember it.
How to Recover Gmail Account Without Recovery Email and Phone Number
You can still recover your Gmail address, with no recovery email addresses and phone numbers. Follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Open the log-in page on your browser.
- Step 2: Enter the address you intend to recover and click “Next.”
- Step 3: Click on “Forgot Password.” You should see a column to enter the last password you remember.
- Step 4: Click “Try Another Way.” This should now take you to a page where you will be required to answer a security question you picked when creating the account. Be sure to remember the answer to the security question, as keying the wrong answer two times will prompt Google to block your account. Once you enter the correct answer, you should be taken to the password reset page.
- Step 5: Reset your password.
To recover your Gmail account and never lose it again:
- Make sure you use a password you can remember all the time.
- Remember the security question you used during account creation.
- Provide a recovery phone number to the Google account. Ensure the phone number is the one you often use or accessible when you forget the password.
- Provide a recovery email address to the email account and ensure you have access to the recovery email.
The methods we have described will recover your lost Gmail account effectively. Another way to recover deleted files is by using data recovery software such as Disk Drill developed by Cleverfiles.