Keeping a Watchful Eye on Other Drivers
Every time you drive your car, you risk an accident. You can do everything possible to be a defensive driver, and you know you are in control of your actions and judgment while driving. Always remember that you cannot control other drivers’ actions or what those drivers are thinking. Not only must you be sure you are doing right while driving on America’s roadways, but you must watch other drivers who are not as responsible or defensive.
Keeping a watchful eye out for bad drivers may help prevent a possible accident involving your car or another unsuspecting driver. The unfortunate reality of life is that many accidents happen every day in cities like Houston that could have been prevented.
It is good to remember that accidents happen because someone was negligent in their actions. If every driver drove defensively and was never negligent in their actions, there would be no car accidents.
It is logical that the bigger the city you live and drive in, the higher the risk for car accidents because there is a larger populace and more vehicles on the road all day and night.
One such city is Houston, Texas, with a population of 6,603,000. This 2022 figure represents an increase of nearly 1.75% over 2021. Houston’s population has significantly increased in the last few years, and so have car accidents.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Houston?
The steps you take and what you say following your car accident can significantly impact a negligent accident case. Following our guidelines for what to do following a car accident in Houston would be best.
We want you to first call 9-1-1 and seek police intervention and medical help; then, if possible, call us at 713-973-8888. We are one of Houston’s leading, award-winning negligent accident law firms. We are experts at protecting victims’ rights.
Tape our law office number, 713-973-8888, to an easy-to-look area in your car, such as your sun visor or dashboard near your steering wheel.
We understand that a car accident shocks you, and you can hardly remember what to do. If you keep this number in a well-visualized area, you will remember to call us as soon as possible. Put a note by this number to grab your notepad and follow our prompts on what to do next. We know it is easy to forget or not know what to do next. Our list will help you through this time.
We will go to work immediately when you call us for help. If possible, we will visit your accident site to get pictures and speak to witnesses while the information is fresh. As we gather all the facts, we can determine if your accident was caused by the negligent actions of another driver.
The following is what you need to remember to do after you are involved in a car accident. Keep two of these lists attached to a small notepad with a pen in easy reaches, such as,
- Your glove compartment
- Your wallet
Please read this list frequently and know what to do following a car accident. Keep your list handy, so you can grab it at a moment’s notice and follow the prompts. We understand that it is challenging to think with a clear mind following a car accident, and our step-by-step list will help you.
If you are medically unable to read or follow these steps, please give this list to a trustworthy friend or relative and ask them to follow the directives.
An Accident Happens!
You are hit by another vehicle, and there may or may not be injuries. The first thing you do is call 9-1-1.
- Call 9-1-1 and report the accident, and request medical responders.
Remember that what you say to law enforcement or medical responders can and will negatively affect your negligent car accident case if you say the wrong thing. As an example,
- Give your statement to the police regarding your crash. Never offer information the police do not ask. Answer their questions to the point.
Never admit that this accident was your fault to the medical responders, police, emergency room staff, insurance companies, or anyone else.
Never say, “I am so sorry for this accident.” Words like this make you sound like you caused an accident that perhaps you did not cause.
- If you believe you are not injured and the police say it is OK to leave the scene, feel free to do so.
- Please call your attorney at 713-973-8888 before you call your insurance agent and company.
Expect to answer a few simple questions, such as when and where your accident happened and your contact information. We will help guide you through the process of recouping your losses. If you cannot come to us, we will come to you as soon as possible.
- Write down the contact and insurance information of the other drivers involved in the accident.
- Write down the contact information of anyone who witnessed your accident.
- Use your cell phone to get pictures of your vehicle. Get photos of the other driver’s vehicle and all damaged areas related to the accident.
- Call your insurance company and give them the specifics of your accident. It would make no difference if the accident was your fault or someone else’s fault.
Cooperate with your insurance agent to the best of your ability. Inform them that you have an attorney who will handle everything, and they can contact your attorney. They may try to offer you a settlement agreement, but no matter how good the offer sounds, please do not accept it until you speak with us.
These settlements usually do not meet your needs, and once you accept a settlement, you can never refile another claim when you find out there was not enough money to pay for your needs.
- Cooperate with them to the best of your ability.
- However, don’t accept their offer if it doesn’t meet your needs. Your car accident attorney will help you get the compensation you’re entitled to.
- If you or anyone else shows signs that they may have injuries, seek medical help.
- Give no copies of anything to anyone unless you save a copy for yourself.
- Get a copy of the police report of your accident at the Texas Department of Transportation website. This report costs you $6.00. If you want a certified copy, it will cost you $8.00.
The Right Negligent Accident Attorneys
We handle negligent car accident cases daily and understand the painful consequences you face following a negligent car accident. These car accidents can be life-changing and represent months or years of mounting medical debt.
We work tirelessly to ensure you get the highest and fairest compensation package you deserve. Your settlement pays for mounting medical expenses, lost wages, and an endless list of expenses associated with your accident.
When a car accident happens to you through the negligent actions of a careless and reckless driver, someone must pay for your unexpected costs and mounting expenses. It will not be you, the victim, or your family. These accidents can put a family in financial ruin, and we ensure that this does not happen to you.
We remain at your side throughout your settlement process to guide and direct your legal route. We aim to make sure you concentrate on your healing process so you can get back to your life as soon as possible.
We follow your medical progress, and if you find it challenging to get the medical assistance you require, we will help you find what you need. Our legal team of attorneys works so closely with our clients that they become part of our family, and it is our desire to remain at your service far into the future after your car accident.
We Told You What to Do After a Car Accident – This is What We Do
- We will work with the police to investigate your car accident.
- We speak with witnesses.
- We gather pictures of all the damage to your car and the defendant’s car.
- We calculate past, present, and future expenses associated with your accident. There is an endless list of expenses that we will review with you.
- We communicate, negotiate, and demand payment for all damages with attorneys and insurance companies. We are prepared to go to court if we cannot settle out of court for a fair and just settlement. No one wants to go to court. But, if we cannot settle out of court, we are prepared to go to court for a fair settlement.
- We take into account your pain and suffering.
- We call in expert witnesses if needed.
Never think you can deal with defendants, insurance companies, and their attorneys; you cannot. Without a seasoned negligent car accident attorney by your side, fighting for your victim’s rights, these individuals will try to make you sound like the guilty party and not the victim.
Your insurance company may have serviced your needs for many years. Never be misled that they are your friend. They are not. Your insurance company does not want to pay you; if they offer you a settlement, it is usually not enough to pay for your expenses. Insurance companies do not like to part with their money.
Never accept any settlements unless you speak with us first. Better yet, please refer all insurance and attorney calls to us. You concentrate on your healing.
We Cannot Help You Until You Give Us a Call
We are a group of leading car accident lawyers in Houston, Texas. We urge you to work closely with us. Keep in constant contact with us and refer all nagging accident-related calls to our esteemed attorneys.
Getting a lawyer after a car accident is crucial. Your first consultation call to us is free with no obligation. Never worry about our fees because we do not get paid if we do not win your negligent car accident case. And, we do not take cases we believe we cannot win. Our seasoned experience has taught us how to get the results we want for our client’s victims.