Game Engines are the software that is used to create or program games. These engines use a different programming language that makes them unique from each other. For example, Unity uses C# language to develop games
Similarly, Unreal Engine, which is developed by Epic Games, uses C++ language to perform the same tasks. There are minor changes in every programming language and the output that they generate. In this article, we will discuss what is Unreal Engine and how it is different from its competition.
What is Unreal Engine?
A game engine developed by Epic Games, Unreal Engine is currently among the most popular game development software. This Engine’s gaming debut was in 1998. This engine works on Windows, Linux, and MacOS.
There are currently 5 versions of the Engine released by Epic Games. The Unreal Engine game development system has proved that the graphics and the final result of the game developed on this engine are pretty competitive in the market.
“I really liked using Unreal and prototyping quick ideas. It’s a really flexible engine and really powerful. Even the testing stuff look and run great.” said Luis Daniel. Just like him, many game developers or gamers have praised the graphics and experiences of the games developed on this platform.
How is Unreal Engine Different from Others?
When it comes to the competitors, there is one name that pops up in the mind of every person who has knowledge about the gaming industry, and that name is Unity. Unity is also a game development software. But what are the edges that these two software have on each other, let us compare them in this section.
Unreal vs Unity
- Graphics: Unreal is considered more creative software than Unity. Epic Games has put much effort into building more and more graphic options like volumetric frog and post-processing.
Whereas Unity has some external installations that you might have to install at certain stages during the game development.
However, both the software is best in their own properties and both of them can make the best quality AAA-standard games.
- AI: When it comes to AI, Unreal Engine by Epic Games has a complete edge over Unity. Its Behaviour tree system has enabled the developers to engineer the most realistic and complex scenes and conditions with ease.
This is the segment where Unity lags behind. UE’s Behaviour tree system can single-handedly provide a noticeable change in the output.
- 2d Games: In 2d games, there is no match for Unity. Unity’s tools and functions allow you to develop more high-quality and highly functional 2d games.
However, UE’s provide Paper2D plugins that can be used for 2d games or 2d animations. But still, Unity is the option that is recommended by programmers.
- VFX: UE is famous for its realistic graphics and photorealistic visualizations. It has a slight edge over Unity when it comes to VFX.
UE provides gamers with wider scope for creativity and visualization.
- Easier to Use: If you are a beginner, you should use Unity as the first platform. Unity works on the C# programming language. For a complete beginner, Unreal can be a bit difficult or confusing to use.
UE can be used in 2 different ways. One is by Blueprint Visual Scripting and by C++ language. The best way to use UE is to use C++ language.
These were some differences that how Epic Games’ UE is different from Unity. In the next section, we will discuss the benefits of Unreal Engine.
Powers of Unreal Engine
- Programing Language: UE uses C++ language for programming games. However, C++ is considered more complex than C# which is used in Unity, but the quality and flexibility of C++ are much higher.
- Wide Area for Projects: UE can handle multiple projects. The program is really efficient and versatile. “We have created an action-adventure game (Remember Me), an open-world action-RPG game (Vampyr), several episodic narrative adventure games (Life is Strange 1 and 2), and we have more games in production,” ~ Jérôme Banal, Dontnod
As stated, UE is a highly versatile and flexible program that can handle any type of project in any niche.
- Compatible for VR: Unreal Engine is highly able and compatible to develop games specifically for VR devices. VR games are more complicated to develop than traditional ones.
The main role in its efficiency in VR games is played by the performance tracking feature. It makes VR game development on UE much easier than the competition.
- Free to Use: It is almost impossible to believe that a platform like UE developed by Epic Games is free to use. Yes, you heard it right. The Unreal Engine asks for no money to develop games.
However, there is a minimum royalty fee that the platform charge. The fee is 5% of the revenue once the game reaches over $1 million of revenue.
- Expertise in Shooting Games: Since the UE platform is able to handle any kind of project with any niche, there is one category in which UE is counted as one of the best.
There are many shooting games that are programmed in Unreal Engine. A high-graphic quality game like Atomic Heart can be an example.
- Render while Developing: Unreal Engine allows developers to have a look at their project development at the same time they are editing. It can also be called real-time rendering.
This feature allows you to perform the changes at the same time while looking at the real-time rendered output.
- Vast Library: UE has a vast library of effects, features, textures, etc. These library features make elements more realistic and 3D looking with help of the appropriate lighting conditions and textures.
Games Made on Unreal Engine
There are plenty of modern games that are based on the unreal engine. The realistic graphics, multiplayer, gaming experiences, and much more. There are many AAA games that are made on Unreal Engine. Following is the list of popular masterpieces.
- Batman: Arkham City: Batman Arkham City is one of the most popular games that are made on the UE. The game series was started in 2009.
The game had realistic graphics and a fantastic storyline so that the gamers get a unique and splendid gaming experience. The game series has 10 addition to it and the latest version is to be released in May 2023.
- Gear 5: Gear 5 is the fifth addition to the Gears series, released in 2019 which was developed by the “Coalition”. This game offers 3 members local multiplayer mode.
There are different kinds of matches that a player can get into, “Team Deathmatch”, “King of the Hill”, or “Escalation Mode”.
- Starwars Jedi: Fallen Order: Released in 2019, Starwars Jedi: Fallen Order was developed by “Respawn Entertainment”. The game is supported on Windows, Play Stations, and Xbox.
Starwars Jedi has realistic graphics and an astonishing gaming experience. Fallen Order is one of the masterpieces made on Unreal Engine that adds gems to their portfolio.
- Resident Evil 4 VR: Resident Evil 4 VR is an example of the excellent quality of the game that is compatible with VR devices. Resident Evil 4 has been introduced for PC too.
Resident Evil 4 was released on October 2021 and developed by Armature Studio.
- Fortnite: Fortnite is a game that was developed by Epic Games on Unreal Engine. It is among the most popular online multiplayer games.
Fortnite is an online surviving game released in 2017 on Windows, MacOS, Play Station, Nintendo, and Xbox.
Unreal Engine can be counted in the list of the most efficient and popular gaming engines available in the market. Like Unity, UE also has a large number of developers which makes it easier for companies to hire them for the game.
Apart from this, UE also promotes innovations and technology to the generation. The engine developers are brave enough to promote and experiment with new things on their platform.
To know more about the innovations and technology that UE promotes, go through the links given below
- Official Blogs: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBobmJyzsJ6Ll7UbfhI4iwQ
- Documentations: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/index.html
- Forums: https://forums.unrealengine.com/
Official GitHub repository: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine