The first thing you learn during your college years is that you have to memorize a ton of information. It includes your classes, schedule, and a million other details required to succeed in your studies. For many students, memory is an ability that doesn’t come naturally for various reasons. Some people are generally less attentive, while others lack the motivation to engage with their responsibilities.
Few are born with perfect memory. Memory is a core skill you need to master to have everything under your control. Whether you are looking for a service to buy essay papers or write them on your own, you need to be able to remember. You can train your memory easily with several helpful techniques.
How Memory Works
When forming a memory, your neurons have to assemble in a particular pattern. At the moment you are trying to recall something, they are reactivated.
The standard process of forming a memory involves four steps:
- Attention. You need to focus on the information you receive for your brain to recognize that it is useful. If you daydream, you are less likely to recall what your lecturer said. You need to put some effort into making your brains work in the first stage of memorizing something.
- Encoding. Once your brain decides the information is relevant, it starts processing it.
- Storage. At this stage, you are pushing your brain to memorize the info. That’s when memory techniques come in handy to store everything successfully.
- Retrieval. All previous stages impact how you retrieve knowledge and the facts you acquired. Yet, the last two processes are significant in how your memory works. You need to constantly revisit and refresh the information to keep it updated and make your brains work better.
How to Improve Your Memory: Helpful Tips
Before jumping into discussing the best memorizing techniques, we should find the reason why you might have trouble studying. Healthy routines are essential for everyone to stay at the peak of their academic performance.
Here are things you should consider to improve your memory:
- Exercise more. Exercising is proven to be a perfect activity to boost your physical and mental health. Every time you go for a walk, visit the gym or practice at home, you provide your brain with oxygen to function properly. You don’t need to follow athletic routines or overexercise to see the improvements.
- Improve your diet. The first golden rule of staying healthy is not starving yourself. It is better to always have healthy snacks at your hand than stay hungry. At the same time, diversify your nutrition. Try to add more vegetables and fruits to your usual meals.
- Get healthy 8 hours of sleep. It might seem impossible for a student who is busy with studying and a part-time job. Yet, sometimes it is better to skip a late-night party. Don’t forget about a power nap after you finished your homework.
- Don’t forget to rest. Let your brains rest without smartphones or TV, as the amount of information we perceive can be overwhelming. You can try practicing meditation to stay sharp and relax.
Verbal Memorization Techniques
Many people may argue that repeating something over and over again is counterproductive. It is true because you engage your short-term memory to hold on to a thought you are repeating. All you need is time, so you need to try out spaced repetition.
Once you have taken notes you want to remember, you need some time to pass after returning to them. Read them in the evening of the same day and the day after, with breaks and other tasks you are working on. It will help your brain to form neural patterns and store new information.
Singing It Out
If you are a creative individual, you can take advantage of it when studying. Singing information can be a saving grace for many people. Make a catchy jingle, or try to mash up your favorite song melody with the materials you need to study. It is a proven method that will help you memorize everything you need.
Visual Memorization Techniques
It is one of the most popular methods of studying, liked by many students. Flashcards break the information down, similar to the chunking method. They are perfect to combine with spaced repetition, aiding you in a visual representation you can recall when trying to remember something.
Linking is a simple method of memorizing information. It relies on creating simple associations between different topics and facts. You can create a roadmap of specific concepts and their connections. It doesn’t matter whether you use visual or verbal methods, a roadmap should provide a clear understanding of how things are connected.
This method is also called the storytelling method. You are more likely to remember something in the context of a specific logic behind it.
Other Helpful Techniques
Chunking is a technique that increases your memorization by grouping items together. Systemize the information you need to learn by specific categories that will help you recall them quickly. This technique is helpful in any area of your life. You can easily balance your study-work balance by knowing what you need to do.
Study with Your Friends
It is easier to memorize things when brainstorming a new topic with someone. Studying with someone increases your chances of better understanding the material. Discussing it before preparing for the exam also helps systemize the information. You also can help mentor someone or ask for the help of other students when feeling unsure.
Always Take Notes
We are all used to our laptops and smartphones to quickly make notes. Yet, you should make hand-written notes as it is connected with motor memory. Once you have written down something, it is easier to recall the information. You are also engaged in understanding what you are writing, so it boosts information storage and retreat.
Leave Irrelevant Information Out
Work smarter, not harder. Let productivity apps help you with other tasks you have to complete while allowing your brain to focus on studying. Manage your brain space wisely.
Your brains are a muscle you train during your lifetime. It is similar to athletes working to increase their skills and techniques. Don’t forget to eat, sleep, and rest properly to maximize your results.