Do you suspect that somebody is using spyware to monitor your smartphone activity? If so, you undoubtedly want to know how to find spy apps on your phone and remove them. Although many people spend a lot of time on their smartphones, many don’t know everything they can do. And that’s normal because even driving a car doesn’t require you to be a mechanic.
However, your phone carries a lot of personal and financial information. That means if somebody installs and uses a phone spy app on your device, they can gather tons of information about your life. And this can make you vulnerable to safety threats. But there are some benefits of Spy apps as well.
What is Spyware and How It Works
Spyware is software that somebody can install on your phone without you even knowing about it. Upon installation, the software collects different information from your device, including text messages, phone calls, emails, and even your location. The person that installs the software can access this data remotely.
Usually, this software is in the form of hidden spy apps. In most cases, a person you know will install this software on your devices, such as a partner in a relationship or a parent that wants to protect their kids. However, even hackers can install these apps to steal personal information from their targets.
Spy software creators design them to blend in with the rest of your apps. For example, a spy app might masquerade as a calculator. Some of these apps usually don’t have an icon. So, if you see software on your device without a sign, it may be one of the apps that spy on you.
Nevertheless, many spyware apps use high-tech features that allow them to collect much information from your device. For example, some apps can activate your phone’s microphone to record conversations. Others can even access your camera to take pictures and videos without your knowledge.
Popular Types of Spyware
There are many types of spyware. However, the most popular are:
- Keyloggers: These record everything on the target device using keyboard movements.
- Adware: These apps monitor the device user’s purchase history and incorporate the information into adverts.
- Tracking cookies: These applications invade the target device’s browser and download history.
- System monitors: These apps monitor the target person’s activity on their device.
- Trojan: This software takes advantage of the device’s browser history and can modify webpage content or make transactions.
Each software type utilizes unique tactics to track and steal information from the target devices.
Popular Hidden Spy Apps
People can download, install, and hide different apps to spy on phone without the device’s owner knowing about it. As hinted, people have varying reasons for using hidden apps to spy on their targets.
For instance, some people use these apps to spy on their partners because they suspect them of cheating. An employer might want to ensure that employees use the company’s phones and other resources appropriately. Also, parents can use these apps to monitor their kids’ activities to ensure their safety. Here are popular hidden spy apps that such people can use.
- SpyStealth: SpyStealth is a spy application for Android and iPhone devices. It’s undetectable and can record text messages, phone calls, emails, and GPS location.
- Spoopza: Spoopza is a hidden app for Android devices. It’s also undetectable and can record text messages, phone calls, and GPS location. Also, it can access the phone’s camera and microphone to take pictures and record conversations.
- FlexiSPY: FlexiSPY works with Android and iPhone devices. It records phone calls, texts, and emails and can also access the phone’s camera and microphone.
It’s unfortunate to find spy apps on your phone because somebody has compromised your privacy or security. For this reason, you should avoid getting these apps at all costs.
How to Prevent Your Phone from Getting Spyware
There are many ways to avoid getting a spy app on your phone. Some of the best tips include:
- Downloading and installing software from trustworthy sources.
- Installing a security app like Avast to detect and prevent the installation of spy apps.
- Keep your device software up to date.
- Reading disclosures before or when installing software.
- Not opening or clicking attachments or links from unknown senders.
- Using reputable spyware tools and trusted antivirus.
- Activating 2-factor authentication where possible.
You can avoid getting a spy app on your phone if you maintain strict cyber-security practices.
Warning Signs of Spyware on iPhone or Android
Mobile device users block about 24,000 malicious apps daily, meaning spy apps are a significant problem. You can detect these apps and remove them by looking for these warning signs.
- Unusual phone behavior: You have a spy app if your phone switches off and on or has an application you don’t recall installing.
- Unusual noise during calls: If your device produces strange noises, like beeping during a call, somebody could be recording it. And this can only happen if they have installed a spy app.
- Surge in data usage: Your device has a spy app if your data usage has increased without an explanation.
- Fast battery drain: If your device’s battery starts draining faster than usual, a spying app might be running in the background.
- Sounds even when not using the phone: If your phone produces a beeping sound or unusual noise even when not using it, you might have a spy application.
- Rooting: If you notice that somebody has rooted your phone and it’s not you, it may have a spy app already.
- Somebody knows a lot about you: If you realize that someone knows more than they should about you, they could be using a hidden app to spy on your phone’s activity.
How to Find Hidden Spy Apps on Your Phone
Once you’ve noticed the above signs, the next step is to find spy apps on your device. Maybe you landed on this page after searching for “how to find spy apps on my phone” online. You can use several techniques to find hidden spy apps on iPhone or Android devices. Here are some of them.
- Look for unfamiliar apps: Go through your device apps list looking for unknown software. Since your device came with some pre-installed apps, search for apps you don’t recognize on Google to know their purpose before uninstalling them or deleting their folders.
- Check your apps’ permissions: Doing this can be time-consuming. However, it’s an effective way to find spy apps on your phone. Ideally, look for apps with access to your device’s location data, camera, or microphone. Such details will help you know whether your device has an app that tracks you secretly without your permission or knowledge.
- Monitor the location symbol: You can find hidden spy apps on Android or iPhone devices by checking the location symbol. If your phone displays the location symbol at the top of the screen, an invisible app could be running and tracing it.
- Google Play Protect: Check Google Play Protect to see whether it’s disabled. This Android’s in-built malware and virus scanner detects and prevent malware and viruses’ download and installation. If this feature is disabled, use other methods to find spy apps on your phone. That’s because somebody might have disabled it to install a spy app.
How to Remove Spyware from Your Phone
It’s not enough to find hidden spy apps on your device. You need to know how to remove them. Here’s how to find the spy app on iPhone or Android and remove it.
- Manual removal: You can try removing the spy apps manually. To do this, navigate to the phone’s settings to find spy apps on your phone. Once you’ve found the apps, uninstall them like any other application.
- Factory reset: If you can’t find hidden spy apps on Android or iPhone devices, try to perform a factory reset. However, this method will erase all information on your device alongside the spy apps. To do this, navigate to the device’s settings and select the reset option.
- Use a third-party app: If you don’t want to reset your phone or can’t find spy apps on your phone, you can use a third-party app. One popular option is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Android. This app can scan your device for malware and remove any malicious apps.
These methods can help you remove the spy app from your device and prevent the installer from spying on you.
Nobody wants to find hidden spy apps on iPhone, Android, or even cricket cell phones. Unfortunately, somebody can install these applications on any of these phones and use them to spy on their owners without them knowing about it. Luckily, you can use these guidelines to protect your device or find and remove the spying apps.