Painting has been around for quite a while now and humans have always used paintings to express things and even eras to some extent. Most people take it that painting is simply a hobby for them while others think of it as something that helps them earn their daily bread.
Irrespective of where you stand in the two, you must know that in this ever changing world of ours, painting has also had some advancements which in turn have made it much simpler and fun. You no longer need watercolors or paint brushes, all you need is a graphic tablet and a digital pen and you are all set.
The idea of digital art portraits seems pretty new but it has been here for quite a long now and people seem to have realized that digital portraits are the future. Today’s blog will shed light on why digital painting is miles ahead of the traditional painting method and which tools and software will suit you the best if you are looking to step foot into the world of digital painting.
Some of the Major Advantages of Digital Painting
Digital painting is a lot less messy and can be done even in the smallest of places, unlike canvas art where you need a lot of space. Here, you only need space for your tablet or possibly a computer and you are all set.
- There is no need to wait until the paint dries, which is one of the major perks of digital painting.
- It allows you to explore and be more creative as an artist and even allows you to work faster than the traditional method. You can even use powerful tools that can help you better understand a new way of working.
These are some of the major benefits of using digital painting over the traditional painting process.
Now that we know why the digital method is better, let us look at what tools will suit you the best as an artist.
Three Major Tools Can Be An Artist’s Best Friend
- Graphic Tablet– most of the novices begin with this and these are also the cheapest models. These have two components in general that include a stylus, and a touchpad only. It may also be possible that the fancy models may have a few buttons on the side as well. Since these tablets do not have a screen, you will need to use a laptop or a computer to plug them into mostly via a USB cable.
- Display Tablets– in case you have an extra budget, you should go for this model. The only major difference between graphic and display tablets is that the latter has a built-in monitor where you can directly draw onto a screen which feels way better especially when the artist is used to painting on a canvas.
- All-in-One Tablets– these come off as premium tablets and include the likes of iPad and Microsoft surface pro. The biggest perk of these is that you do not need an additional laptop or computer to plug your tablet into as the tablet has that covered. You can take them anywhere you want to and being portable means they save you a lot of time. The only downside of these tablets is that they are very expensive.
Now that you know about the tools that you will be using, let us look at some of the best software that you should use for digital painting.
- Adobe Photoshop– this is the most powerful tool available for digital painting and is also the most powerful tool. People in the painting industry have made it a standard tool where you will get most of your training and lessons. All in all, it is a great tool.
- Krita– this is better known as an open-source alternative to adobe. Although it is nowhere near as good as adobe, it is a pretty great option if you are on a tight budget. You need to keep in mind that you will not find much training on it online and you will need to eventually switch to Adobe in case you want to work professionally someday.
- Procreate– this one has been climbing up the ranks and is very lightweight and easy to use. Even though it lacks some of the features that Adobe has, more are being added to it. The only downside of this is that it is only available on the iPad.
These are the best software that one can use, to begin with, his journey of digital art. You can also look for other software and tools on the internet in case you think that these are not your cup of tea.