Hulu is one of the best streaming services that offer “Closed-captioning and Subtitles” features on its platform for easy viewing and an enhanced user experience for streaming TV shows and movies. It can be used during the streaming mode for watching your favorite Hulu content.
The OTT media platform gives you the freedom to decide whether you want the text to appear at the bottom of the screen or not. Since some users find that the caption is annoying, as it divides their attention, you also have an option “Turn-on” or “Turn-off” the subtitles or captions
However, there are some movies and TV shows from other languages that you may need subtitles and closed captions to understand. You can use such features almost in the entire content library at your own convenience and the good thing is, you can turn it off anytime.
Can You Access Hulu Outside the United States?
Hulu is accessible only in the United States, due to content licensing and copyright policies. It means, if you are living outside the US, then Hulu will deny access to its content to all the users, and display a streaming error that says Hulu is not available in your location.
If you are a geek, you probably know that you can geo-spoof to trick Hulu’s detection systems and make them believe you are residing in the United States. All you need is a VPN connection to access the entire Hulu library from anywhere like Hulu in UK, Hulu in Canada, Hulu in Germany, and so on.
By connecting to a server in the United States, a VPN will assign you with an American IP address. As a result, Hulu will see you streaming its library from an American location, hence allowing you to bypass content limitations, allowing you to watch Hulu in UK or any other country easily!
How to Use “Closed Captions” & “Subtitles” on Hulu?
Here is how to use “Closed Captions and Subtitles” on Hulu streaming content.
1. Watching Hulu on Web Browsers
It is quick and straightforward to use Closed captions & Subtitles on Hulu’s site from your web browser for the best streaming experience.
- Go to the “Settings” tab when playing a movie/TV show.
- Click the “Subtitles & Audio” menu from the list of options.
- Select a preferred language and enjoy watching with Closed Captions and Subtitles
- If you don’t need it, simply select “Off” from the same menu
- You can also customize the style and font color of Captions.
- Click on the Settings tab and apply your preferred changes then hit the “Done” button
2. Watching Hulu on Mobile Devices
If you are streaming on iOS or Android mobile devices, you simply need to follow the three-step process given below:
- Click on the Settings logo when streaming any movie/TV show.
- Go on the “Subtitles and Captions” tab and turn Auto, On, or Off
- Save your Settings and enjoy watching with “Closed Captions & Subtitles.”
3. Watching Hulu through Living Room Devices
If you want to activate features of Closed Captions & Subtitles on Hulu programs on your living room devices then follow the instructions described below:
- Select a TV show or movie and hit play
- Click the arrow Up button on your remote.
- Click the Up button again to open the “Settings” window
- Navigate into “Captions & Subtitles”
- Click “On” or “Off”
How to Customize Closed Captions and Subtitles on Hulu?
Hulu fans can customize their screens for Closed Captions/Subtitles to improve Hulu streaming on all major streaming devices such as Android phones, iOS, iPad, MacBook, Apple TV, Smart TV, Firestick, Chromecast, gaming consoles, Roku, and others.
All you need is to enter the “Settings” menu and make the required changes, then save it by clicking on the “Done” button to enjoy them in front of your screen. However, you can customize the background color & opacity, transition effects, font style, font color, font size, text opacity, and shadow style.
How to Change the Language of “Subtitles” on Hulu content?
Hulu offers three languages for its content: English, Spanish, and Española. However, in most of the videos, you will find only two choices i.e., English and Spanish. Therefore, you can select either English or Spanish in most of the content.
Here is how you can change the language.
- Select a movie or show
- Click on the “play” button
- Open the “Settings” menu
- Click on the “Subtitles”/ “Subtitles Language”
- Select English, Spanish, or Española and enjoy Hulu in your own style
Hulu is no doubt a premium service that is competing well with Netflix, due to its binge-worthy content and impressive incentives like The Disney Bundle, closed captions/subtitles, premium network add-ons, etc. Hopefully, this guide helps you understand how the closed captions and subtitles work.