A beautiful ring case containing your diamond engagement ring, do you still remember your engagement day? How fascinating it was when your husband had put it in your finger. Later, most people use it occasionally after the wedding.
After all, it is a diamond ring and you must be wondering about wearing it all the time! You should, at least when you go out, this is what diamond rings are made for. However, they also need a certain level of care and attention. Be sure to keep your ring in its case when you are not wearing it. Diamonds are the hardest natural substance, and gold or platinum are very hard precious metals – but they also run the risk of being damaged if handled incorrectly. After all, the engagement ring is very close to your heart, you can skim through the Segal Jewellery collections here https://segaljewellery.com/.
By some means, if you get your ring damaged, there is always a way to repair your damaged diamonds. Nevertheless, it is always better to take good care of your beautiful and precious jewelry. Here’s a quick guide on what to do with your diamond ring:
What Should You Do?
- Wear your ring at work. Although it may bother you from time to time, you would have to manage it anyhow. Do not hesitate to wear your ring in front of your colleagues, employees or superiors – unless your job is a risk factor for diamonds or wearing a ring is against company policy.
- Clean your diamond. The slogan of the great diamond dealer De Beers was “Diamonds are forever – diamonds are imperishable”. However, if it is dirty or greasy, the light can no longer pass through it, which indicates that it will no longer shine so beautifully. Therefore, you should clean your gemstone from time to time so that it sparkles again as on the day it was given to you. The best way to clean it is to place it in warm soapy water for about 15 minutes and then carefully remove the dirt with a soft toothbrush.
- Wear your ring while sleeping. Although no one can see your sparkling diamonds while you sleep, your precious jewelry is safe and you can sleep peacefully. There is no reason why you cannot wear your ring while you sleep – unless your fingers frequently swell at night.
- Have your ring polished from time to time. Most engagement rings are either gold or platinum. The latter is a beautiful and very strong metal, but not as shiny as gold. Take your gold to the jeweler frequently, if it is not yellow or red gold. White gold is made from a combination of metals, including yellow gold, and then coated with rhodium. This coating fades over time and gets a yellow tinge, especially when you keep wearing the ring during certain activities, such as showering or washing up. To restore its beauty and shining, it should be re-coated and polished.
- Have your diamond fixed periodically. If a diamond is properly attached with the ring, nothing can happen to your gem. However, everyday activities can stain your ring, take its shine away and make it loose. Also, it is advisable to make sure that the diamond is intact, tight and doesn’t lose. After all, what could be worse than losing a diamond!
- Treat your jewelry with respect. Diamonds or gemstones are worn or presented on joyful occasions and are often of great intangible value. Moreover, these pieces of jewelry are not exactly cheap. Someone (you or your partner) raised and spent money on this partner ring. For this reason alone, you should strive to maintain its quality for as long as possible.
What You Shouldn’t Do?
- You shouldn’t be afraid of wearing your ring with pride. Although the small, velvety ring case is essential when you want to put your ring down, it should never be its permanent location. Your ring is there for you to wear – so don’t be afraid of attracting admiring glances! Don’t worry, rings are the part of everyday use and you should wear it as often as possible.
- Avoid swimming, taking a shower or cleaning while wearing your ring. It is better to take it off if you don’t want to keep visiting the jeweler. Also, water can damage the shimmer of the metal and the diamond itself, as it contains many chemicals, such as chlorine, calcium, magnesium, carbonates, etc. Some chemicals used for cleaning can damage the metal sooner or later, although they would be safe for your diamond. In the meantime, it is better to put the ring in your ring case or jewelry box or put it on a ring stand.
- Do not mishandle while cleaning it with a brush, better to keep wearing it. Treat it like a real queen – with respect! That means you must take it off during your everyday tasks like cleaning, coloring or disinfecting. Do not wear it until you have finished your work.
- You shouldn’t do dangerous sports while wearing your ring. Sporting is the most likely activity where there is a lot of chance you may lose it and sometimes you damage it unintentionally during sports. Therefore, taking off your ring before you do any sporting activities is a good step to prevent your jewelry from being damaged or lost. Although any damage is not immediately visible, these activities may affect the frame.
Each ring is different and you should look after it accordingly. Rings with a platinum setting have different care requirements than rings with a gold setting. When buying, ask your jeweler exactly about the care instructions for your ring and stick to them in order to be able to enjoy them for as long as possible. After all, you don’t buy or receive an engagement ring every day!+