Global warming is known as the greatest challenge of the 21st century because it is a threat to human development and health. It threatens everything around us, access to clean air, nutritious food supply, safe water for drinking, and safe shelter. And is already causing more extreme and frequent weather events, droughts, heatwaves, rising sea levels, forest fires, and the spread of diseases like malaria are increased. Also, the number of deaths is increasing due to the effect of global warming every year, and the projected deaths between 2030 and 2050 are huge. It is projected that in these 20 years, almost 250 000 deaths will happen, 48 000 from diarrhea, 38 000 from heat exposure, 95 000 from children’s bad nutrition, and 60 000 from malaria. So, we as a society must do something to prevent this from developing any further, keep reading to find out what you can do.
How Can We Prevent Global Warming?
Nowadays, this problem is constantly being discussed almost everywhere, and it is concerning to everyone. And even academics communities, through education, try to inform the students about this issue as the younger generation should start positive changes. Many colleges even started creating programs where the students study this topic and each of them is assigned to write an essay about global warming to show how they see this issue with its consequences. Students then share their thoughts by publishing free essays and research projects online to share their discoveries. Sometimes these discoveries help scientists who study global warming and that’s great. The younger generation should take an active part in spreading awareness and legit knowledge about all dangers of global warming and climate change to our society.
However, you may wonder how you as an individual or a college student can make an impact on stopping global warming? Well, the best thing that you can do is speak up and actively participate in the fight against it. And that can be simply done by voicing your concerns to your friends and family or through social media. Some other ways in which you can prevent the impact of global warming are:
- Powering your home with renewable energy
- Investing in energy-efficient appliances
- Reducing the waste of water
- Eating the food that you buy, not throwing it
- Pulling the plugs where you are not using them
- Driving a fuel-efficient vehicle
- Shrinking your carbon profile
Why Global Warming is Really Dangerous for Our Planet?
The simple answer to this question would be that even a slight average temperature rise is enough to cause dramatic transformations to our planet. But still, let’s dive a bit deeper into the dangerous consequences and results of global warming that will make the whole picture clearer.
- More Severe Weather– higher temperatures cause many disasters such as heatwaves, droughts, floods, storms, etc. In general climate change creates an atmosphere that retains, collects, and drops more water, resulting in dry areas becoming drier and wet areas wetter. That can be a risk to public safety and health. Also, the warmer weather increases the number of insects that carry diseases such as mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas.
- Higher Death Rates– as the temperature rises, so does the emergency room visits, the incidence of illnesses, and deaths. Several days of the temperature not going down even at night can cause severe health consequences such as heat exhaustion, heatstroke, kidney, cardiovascular diseases, etc.
- Higher Wildlife Extinction Rates– Humans are not the only ones that face those challenges. Due to the quick changes, many animals are condemned to disappear if they don’t adapt fast enough.
- Higher sea Levels and More Acidic Oceans – due to the warmer weather, the Arctic is melting faster than usual, which is the major impact on the rising sea levels, and with the oceans being higher, they are a threat to the low-lying areas. Also, due to the oceans becoming more acidic, underwater life is in danger, especially creatures with skeletons or carbonate shells.
Global Warming promises a frightening future, and it is too late to turn back time, so the bad news is that even if we stopped all carbon dioxide emissions now, the effects would still be here, but the good news is that we can stop it from continuing by aggressively reducing our global emission, and in that way, we can avoid many severe consequences may happen.
Also Read- Ways to Make your Business Greener and Sustainable