It’s not a secret that over time, the Mac can start working slower than it was in the beginning. The reason is that a pile of junk and unnecessary documents take up the hard drive space and cause slower work, freezing, and other unpleasant problems. If you’re thinking about how to free up space on the computer, then you’ve come to the right place. Read this article to understand how to clean up the device’s hard drive successfully. It’ll help to boost the computer’s productivity and make it fast again.
What Does Take Up Space on the Device?
Various types of documents and apps can eat up your computer’s space, even when you do not know about it. These are the examples of the common documents:
- Temporary documents. When you launch various apps, the OS creates thousands of cache and temporary files to work properly. They become unnecessary later, but they stay on the drive. Even if you will remove an application, the temporary documents remain untouched.
- Duplicate documents. Often, you can save some files twice or even more times, and the copies stay on the hard drive.
- Documents inside the trash. When you put documents in the trash, it does not mean you already removed them. These files are still on the Mac and they still take up its space.
- Blurry or bad quality photos. When you take photos, it’s simple to take tons of shots to create the perfect one. But all those taken pictures are saved on the drive and take up tons of its space, decreasing Mac’s productivity.
Remove Applications You Do Not Use for Months and Years
Of course, when you work on the Mac, you download the needed apps. But think, if you need all of these programs? Of course, many installed apps just slow down the computer because they have background processes. If you need to free up space on the computer successfully, it’s time to delete unnecessary apps. It’s easy to open apps and see which of them you haven’t launched for a long time. Then drag them to the trash to delete successfully. It’s a manual way to delete programs, and you may also use an automatic way with an effective and reliable cleaner that will scan the disk space and detect which files and apps can be deleted easily.
Steps to Free Up Space Effectively
Discover these useful steps that will be helpful if you want to free up your device’s drive and increase its productivity:
- Delete cached files. Your computer stores many files as cache, and over time, these documents can cause problems, eating up free space. Start by clearing the cache.
- Delete junk files. There are many documents on the computer accumulated over your work, including browser caches, some junk system files, email attachments, etc. We suggest using an automatic cleaner to remove these files successfully.
- Delete email attachments. Every day, you receive many emails with attachments that include photos, documents, large files, and more. Even if you don’t download these files but just open them, the attachment is downloaded to the temporary folder and saved on the device. Imagine how many attachment documents you have saved on the computer!
- Uninstall unwanted applications. When you install various apps on the computer, they stay on it eating up its space until you delete these apps. If you’re working on the Mac for a long time, we assure you have piles of unnecessary programs that can be uninstalled to free up space.
- Delete duplicates. You can try to find duplicates manually (it may take a pile of your precious time) or use an automatic cleaner that will help to find and delete all the duplicated copies on the device.
We hope that our tips were useful. Feel free to read more effective tips on how to free up more space and increase the computer’s productivity. You see, everything is simple, you just need to take care of your device, and it’ll serve you for many years!